My First Cat! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

My First Cat!

I finally got a cat! I had been looking at the various shelters around my town and finally settled on this one. He did try to "choose" me thru the bars where they had him displayed at PetSmart. The city's pound works with a local network of fosters to take some of the cats, and from those are the ones who get picked to live at the store.

I have never had a cat before but have been a fan of them. I have no other pets, and I live in an apartment. I am praying that he doesn't mess things up.

This ginger(?) tabby boy is about 7 months old and he was raised from birth by the foster humans and maybe the cat mama (not sure) so he has been around people, cats, and even dogs all his life. He's healthy, and fixed.

I have some pictures to share. Today was day one. He seems to like climbing on me! And the feather toy - wow, it really wears him out chasing that thing!

His name was Toby...but I am going to change it. Thinking of Jett, because I'm an aviation enthusiast. Then I also thought of Diesel, because of how loud he purrs and he's as handsome as Vin Diesel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	456.9 KB
ID:	105017  

Name:	cat2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	105025  

Name:	cat3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	105033  

Name:	cat4.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	105041  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 02:51 AM
Cat Addict

Welcome to the wonderful (and weird) world of cat ownership! He is a very cute kitty!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 07:03 AM
Cool Cat

That looks like a very nice cat! Don't let the feather toy lie around in the open, he may be a string eater. Also he could ruin it by playing on his own. Thanks for giving him a home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 03:21 PM
Premier Cat

What a sweet face! It looks like you already have a best friend!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I've let him play with the feather on the wand and watched him, he's not destroying it so far. He also loves a little ball that I have - I'll throw it and he'll charge after it and catch & hold it. He just loves to be held.

He was allowed to roam free overnight, including my bedroom, but was kind of hard to fall asleep with him exploring every inch of the place.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 06:56 PM
Cool Cat

Congratulations! He is SUCH a handsome, adorable boy! To prevent destruction--I highly recommend a cat tree by a window and cat scratchers around your apartment. My girls have these things and they know that they're "theirs". They are totally non-destructive otherwise. My cats' favorites are the cardboard scratchers, I have them of various sizes and shapes around my apartment. I recently got the

on Amazon, and my girls spend almost all day on them. They LOVE them. Sleeping on them, scratching them, playing among them, etc.

I'm so excited for you. I can tell by the photos you two already have an awesome bond. Cat ownership is the BEST thing! I couldn't imagine my life without my kitties. They're my fur children!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I was worried about destructive behavior. He took a liking to the sofa which is made of a rough type of material so I squirted him each time I saw him. He also seems to like using the carpet for scratching. Its a very tight weave, he'll dig his paws in and try to drag them. He doesn't always do it in the same place so I don't think it can hurt the carpet at least in the short term.

PetSmart is selling a discontinued cat tree that is 5 feet tall or so & carpeted and with coupon I could get it for 60 bucks or less. I am considering this.

Yesterday when he was in the bathroom all day he loved the cat bed but now that he discovered MY bed he likes that better!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 11:58 PM
Premier Cat

The cat tree sounds great.

Having scratching posts will definitely help to keep him from scratching other things. Even though he doesn't always scratch the same area of the carpet right now, he'll find a favorite area, probably along an edge, and at that point, the carpet will succumb.

He is such an affectionate kitty!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 01:41 PM
Cool Cat

I am so happy for you both!!! the pics are great, too! you two are SO made for each other. the bond is obvious in the pics. and that is too cute that he prefers your bed now as well. my angel sleeps in bed with me every night and I wouldn't have it any other way. in fact, when I went on an overnight biz trip once, I couldn't sleep because I missed her so much!

enjoy every moment with your new guy. sounds like you've already done some good homework and know some tricks to stop him from ripping up things he shouldn't. that's good. I'm watching a friend's cat for a few days and he has never really been disciplined so I have to turn around and "yell" his name every so often to get him to stop. a little tiring to say the least! but he is a sweet boy otherwise. he's a tabby, too. they can be so like dogs. come when you call, hop up on the seat next to you when you pat it, etc... I love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page