Is my cat Bombay or domestic shorthair? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Is my cat Bombay or domestic shorthair?

I have a cat of unknown taken from a shelter at 4 months old. I wanted to know his breed since he's so unique in looks and personality, and closest match I have found is Bombay--unless he's a really cool mixed breed, that is. If it helps, the only things on him that aren't black are his eyes and inside his ears- even his claws and toe pads are black. He also doesn't meow, he can chirp but what would be a meow is more like a weird musical sort of sound. It's like he's rolling his tongue all the time, and I know that doesn't make sense but I don't know how to describe it since it's only him I've ever heard make that sound any opinions are welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170821_131538.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	118009  

Name:	20170531_095045.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	118017  

Name:	20170821_131552.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	118025  

Name:	20170821_131819.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	118033  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

I'm a little partial to black kitties. He's a beautiful DSH (domestic short hair). Love his expression in the first picture.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you, I think he's one of the prettiest cats I've met and yes he has a very strong personality!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 01:06 PM
Premier Cat

DSH=Domestic Shorthair. A Bombay is a hybrid cross between a Burmese and black American Shorthair. Although your boy appears to have a satiny non-matting coat (most black DSH cats do), but he doesn't have the orange eyes and rounded head with a cheekier look of a Burmese and his ears seem too long and upright. Tho at his age, he may grow into a more cheekier look and possibly into his ears as he matures when around a year old. Unless you have registration papers from a recognized cat association, such as CFA=Cat Fanciers' Assoc. or TICA=The International Cat Assoc., then he's a DSH. Black cats are usually the most numerous at any cat shelter, because some people have the opinion that they bring bad luck or some other superstition. Also Bombays are not that common at cat shows in the way that Siamese, Persians, or Maine Coons are. In my experience I've had some very wonderful loving black cats....the only thing about them is it's hard to see fleas on them! However, you can catch a lot of fleas by grooming them regularly with a flea comb during the summer season. Your boy looks very sweet!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."

Last edited by catloverami; 08-22-2017 at 01:10 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 08:38 AM
Tom Cat

I might've been owned by a cat who might've been part Bombay. Quite friendly and loving. (not to mention quite playful), and the most unusual trait about him, which I found to be extremely adorable is that he loved giving hugs!!!!!!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 02:29 AM
Premier Cat

He is beautiful! What's his name?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page