Rescue kittens - think you'll like these.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Rescue kittens - think you'll like these....

Hello,

Here are some images of kittens we rescued this summer. It was somewhat crazy - we had three groups of cats and kittens at one point (four if you count my mother's adopted kitten), and couldn't mix them because they haven't been tested. So we were rotating them through a house and one-bedroom apartment that are 2 hours apart.

Three were recently adopted, one we kept (the calico shorthair) and one is with my mother.

The original kitten that led to this is Tiki. You can see her eye ulcer has gotten markedly better. She's a sweetheart.

We originally found Tiki dying outside on the pavement. Hot day, abandoned by her mother, etc... I had thought we'd have to put her to sleep. Kind of funny now - the first day we thought she was so diseased that I was scared to go near her. Now she greets us every morning by rubbing faces and purring.

Unfortunately, we still have many feral/stray cats around, and after spending hundreds of dollars on vet bills, very little resources or time to rescue the rest. We've contacted local groups, but everyone seems overburdened.

(all pictures are copyrighted, pls don't redistribute or use without permission - thanks!)

Tiki, the original sick kitten that led us to the rest:

Pigpen (we named him Pigpen because he was a big litterbox sleeper)

Jack (who was really sick one night, he's since been named Jake by the new family)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Amber - this kitten was taken in by my mother after we retrieved Tiki from her temporary care (the rest are one litter, Amber is from a separate litter).

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Audrey is the calico longhair. She was part of the original litter and taken by a family separate from the two boys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

This really highlights how much better Tiki's eye(s) got...

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Cat Addict

Hello Scott,
I am so impressed with your work. So much caring and patience! The kitties look wonderful!

explore, doubt and discover for yourself what is the truth.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 01:38 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Scott, let me commend you for your wonderful work! Just one question---poor puppy----aren't you afraid that monster kitty will beat him up? Our 75 lb. collies used to just stand and look helpless while kittens clung to their legs--and wrapped themselves around their long noses. (Our collies raised two abandoned kittens.) No damage done, though!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks,

We have two Great Danes at my mother's house - if they get too playful, the kitten lets out a spit and a swat. They back off pretty quick, and 10 seconds later, she's stalking them again and attacking their tails.

It hasn't been a problem. We keep an eye on them - but the dogs have little or no interest in harming the kitten and you're right to suggest that they're the likely victims. Since they're about 160 lbs., we watch them to make sure she doesn't get accidentally stepped on by overstimulated dogs. One dog patently ignores the kitten - "Kitten? What kitten?" The other is pretty good. The kitten is about twice as fast as both put together.

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 03:28 PM
Tom Cat

Congratulations on looking after those kittens. They look so much happier and healthier in the 'after' photos.

'Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece' - Leonardo da Vinci
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 04:56 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Isn't it funny to watch a few ounces of fluff push around a huge dog? I love big dogs. As a rule, they're very gentle. :)

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to kittygirl04 Send a message via Yahoo to kittygirl04
Scott--I think what you have done for these kittens is wonderful. They are so lucky to have you. May I ask where you live? I was just wondering why there seem to be so many neglected animals in your area.

I have seen so many people decide to get a cat and then leave it outside without getting it fixed. It makes me so mad because they never know what to do with the kittens once their cat gets pregnant, but still they don't fix the cat after she has those kittens. It is a continuous cycle--and I wish that something could be done. I loved that article that Bean posted awhile back about the kitty birth control shot, which may be approved for use very soon. I wish they would make a huge batch for free, and let people bring in their pets so the world isn't over-populated with homeless animals. That is such a wonderful thought....going to a shelter and finding it empty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page