A new baby brother.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

A new baby brother....

So last Sunday my boyfriend and I woke up and said "Lets get a dog!" so we did. I dunno what we were thining, to be honest. We both love dogs, of course. But I guess we didn't really think it through, which is very typical of us.

So anyway....yeah, we got a dog. It's a Bichon Frise. And our cats were less than thrilled about it BUT...they took it a lot better than we thought they would.

Here's Dashiell...

Kouji seems the least affected by the new adoption, probably because she has been through this before when we adopted Kenji and Koda last May. Plus Kouji spent the first 8 months of her life with a dog. I can't say Kouji's doing cartwheels over the new addition, but she's being a lot nicer to Dashiell than she was when we took in Kenji and Koda. When we took them in she was downright NASTY! But exactly one week after getting them she went from being nasty and hostile to playful.

It's been a week since we got Dashiell and she hasn't completely warmed up to him yet. She will approach him, sniff him, brush past him, she'll sleep on the floor with him closeby, she'll even touch noses and let him come up to her, but if he does it too fast she'll swat at him. She doesn't use her claws and she barely even touches him, she just gives him a tap to let him know she's not ready. She doesn't even hiss anymore, and her growl has gotten weaker over the last week, but she's still not 100% ready for a canine brother.

Kenji and Koda, on the other hand, are even less thrilled. Although you can tell Koda is very curious of Dash, he likes to keep his distance. He will only approach Dash if Dash is sleeping, and if Dash approaches him, he heads for high ground. Kenji's a bit different. Kenji will approach Dash, but only if Dash is sleeping or being extremely calm. He will let Dash approach him, only if Dash does it slowly. After about 30 seconds though Kenji decides he has had enough and will take off.Neither cat has raised their paw to hit Dash, but will hiss of Dash gets them cornered. And if Dash charges them, they both take off.

This is right after Dash went after both Kenji and Koda, who were laying on the landing upstairs.

I'm optimistic that the cats will eventually warm up to Dashiell. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking, but none of my cats seem overly traumatized by the newest addition. If anything they just get freaked out by all his puppy-ish behavior. Maybe in a few weeks or months I'll have some pics of them all taking naps together and playing. Maybe... *crosses fingers*

>^..^<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 11:04 PM
Cat

How adorable. They look like to peas in a pod.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Cute puppy! Cute cats too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 11:39 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Oh so sweet! Your bichon looks like my pup. He's a malti-poo, but he's an old guy now, not nearly as sweet lookin' but I can't help but love him!

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 10:28 AM
Premier Cat

Awww I want a Bichon Frise, love how you say the name too
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 12:53 AM
Senior Cat

He is adorable. I have a Bichion and he turned 18 about a month ago. They are great dogs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks catlover_2004
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 01:42 AM
Premier Cat

What an adorable puppy.. I enjoyed the pictures.. where did you adopt him from? My sister wants to get a bichon eventually.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 09:07 AM
Cool Cat

What a cute puppy!

Aimee aka "Kitty"
"Not all who wander are lost." -Tolkien
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page