Cat Forum banner

Re-homing...

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  dmcwlvssr 
#1 ·
When Pebbles was alive, she had a deep hatred for Silkie, my black rehabbed feral who is 3 yrs old...Pebbles was 8. Since her passing, Silkie has changed and is alot more sociable towards us, as well as the other cats and hangs around upstairs more often too.

Lately, I've seen Digger getting into it with her. Now, Digger's personality is that of a big lazy-lugged boy, who is very akward with his big frame. When he plays, he's like a bulldozer...and I'm afraid that Silkie has now taken his play time antics as a threat and she is becoming hostile towards him. She has also taken to staying in the basement with the kids more and more...that's why I call her my "basement kitty".

My husband's son and girlfriend are living with us now, but are preparing to leave and get their own first apartment or house together, probably by the Fall. Silkie loves them, and they love her alot...especially my stepson's girlfriend. They have asked me if they can take her with them when they leave... it has been a question I've been pondering for some time now. I did make a decision, which was no, but I never relayed it to anyone... I kinda let the subject lapse. But... now I'm wondering if I should... I just have some reservations....like her being the only cat when she's been so used to living with more. But... they could adopt a kitten from my org. to as Silkie is very used to kittens being around, living in an apt. versus a house... then the issue of them possibly letting her outside, but I did speak to my stepson and told him that I would NOT give her to them if they planned on letting her outside. I told them that she is still a feral...still has alot of feral traits, and if she's allowed outside, my fear is that she would be gone. He assures me that he would not let her outside.....but... once she is there's, theye can do as they please...

I don't know... it's a very tough decision to wrestle with.... :cry:

See less See more
#2 ·
I do not think I would EVER re-home a cat of mine to someone I knew.
Hubby and I did that some years ago with a cat who was just a very poor fit in our cat-hold. That person 'lost' the cat when it spooked outdoors because of a carpet cleaning service.
Was it their fault? Maybe. Maybe not.
But I couldn't stand knowing they had 'lost' my cat because I know I wouldn't have lost him. I would prefer to send any of my cats needing re-homing through the adoption program I am familiar with...they will work tirelessly to find the kitties good forever homes...and what I don't know can't hurt me.

#4 ·
I have different view on this subject than most people on this forum.
I have never rehomed an animal and never will. I wouldn't and didn't rehome my kids - though I do admit there were days and years that I thought it sounded like a good deal.
With the addition of each of my children, my famiy dynamics changed. And it kept changing - and still is. Same thing for my fur kids. My expectation is that it work out and it always has. Not everyone is perfect, we all have our quirks. If I move a firkid to a new situation, there will still be a period of adjustment and who is to say the situation will be any better than what they have now?
So I take what I am given (skinkids and furkids) and deal with it.

#5 ·
Man! I would have re-homed my brothers in a heartbeat! :D

I've thought about it with Cleo, only because I just wish she and Cinderella were friends by now (and there were lots of things I wasn't told about Cleo). It seems they take one step forward and two steps backwards. I guess compared to other stories it's not that bad, but this past weekend, Cinderella jumped up on my bed, slapped Cleo on each side of the head and then sat down. There were no claws and she didn't hit her very hard, but poor Cleo just takes it. (Okay - for those of you who are laughing, it was a little funny.) It was the first time I've seen Cinderella actually make physical contact. Usually, she'll just jump up and scare her off. Cleo always defers to Cinderella. If we're playing and Cinderella walks into the room, she'll stop. If Cinderella chases her, usually she'll just stop and drop into a lying down position.

They touch noses and sniff each other every day, usually at feeding time because they're both in the kitchen, and Cinderella will even let Cleo eat out of her bowl, but I just wish there was no tension.

I don't think I could ever re-home Cleo because of her attachment and abandonment issues. I don't think she would recover from it.

Cinderella was actually sleeping in the cat carrier last night and I thought I would faint when I saw this! She HATES that thing with a passion, and it just broke my heart. :(

#6 ·
Mom of 4 said:
I have never rehomed an animal and never will. I wouldn't and didn't rehome my kids - though I do admit there were days and years that I thought it sounded like a good deal.
With the addition of each of my children, my famiy dynamics changed. And it kept changing - and still is. Same thing for my fur kids. My expectation is that it work out and it always has. Not everyone is perfect, we all have our quirks. If I move a firkid to a new situation, there will still be a period of adjustment and who is to say the situation will be any better than what they have now?
I agree with you 100%. To Janice, since you are having reservations about giving them the cat, I would just go ahead and tell them no. They can find a great cat (or two) at a shelter.

#8 ·
I couldn't re-home Cleo now. That little scamp is so funny and kooky! I think being dumped with different people and places for her short little life is why she puts up with Cinderella so well, but it's also why she doesn't like being touched very much, but she's getting better. (Being chased and constantly grabbed and harassed by a 2-year old child didn't help!)

I think Cinderella sleeps most of the day, just like she did before. But she doesn't like it when she can't find Cleo. :wink:

#9 ·
Frostine said:
Mom of 4 said:
I agree with you 100%. To Janice, since you are having reservations about giving them the cat, I would just go ahead and tell them no. They can find a great cat (or two) at a shelter.
Yes, that's what I'm going to do. Thanks guys....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.