Cat Forum banner

Oh no ...

2K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Jeanie 
#1 ·
.... has Toby gone fishing?

My flatmates fish has gone.

Cats don't normally go fishing do they? And particularly not for goldfish surely. But its definitely not in the bowl and theres no sign of it.

Oh dear. 8O

#8 ·
Oh yes, cats DO go fishing! When I was a kid we had fish and the cats did get a couple before we realized they could. We caught Tiger sticking his huge paw (he was a Main ****) into the tank and flipping the fish out. Just like a bear! We put screening on top of the tanks after that. 8O

#9 ·
Dearly beloved.......

I'm sure Goldie jumped out. :( Fish do that, especially when there's really good food in the tank. I had very large Tinfoil Barbs that I had to rescue from the rug on occasion, especially when I fed tubifish. Few of the other fish got any! I also found a rather dry plecostomus from the rug. I called him Hoover after that...but he didn't live long. :(

#10 ·
I think the fish was so overwhelmed by having to share a flat with such a handsome young lad as Toby, he leapt to his own death. I'm sure Toby carried him gently in his mouth and put him in the loo.

:angel

#12 ·
At least I hope that if Toby unfortunately swallowed him in his compassionate attempt to take the fishie to the toilet, it won't bring another bout of colitis :?

Whoever said fish was not a natural food for cats :lol:

#13 ·
I think the fish was so overwhelmed by having to share a flat with such a handsome young lad as Toby, he leapt to his own death. I'm sure Toby carried him gently in his mouth and put him in the loo.
At least I hope that if Toby unfortunately swallowed him in his compassionate attempt to take the fishie to the toilet, it won't bring another bout of colitis
LOLOLOL!!!
You guys are killing me! :lol:

Poor fishy. RIP.

#14 ·
Although I hope that's not the fate of your flatmate's poor fish, cats do go fishing - and "lizarding" and "snaking" for that matter :lol:. On the other hand fish do jump out for sure - and then flop. We lost a fish once that turned up dead under the couch later.

#15 ·
marie73 said:

:angel
<Allie hears purring and chomping as Toby goes to the hiding place he put poor goldie ... >

#21 ·
I've had fish jump before.. I have a 5 1/2 gal. tank complete with lighted hood for little goldfish Spiff. Zander likes to watch and I've seen him peeking into the little holes where the filter/air hose goes, but he's never tried anything and thouroughly wouldn't fit if he did. :lol:

Poor Estefan..

#22 ·
... and just think my flatmate suggested a month or so ago that we get some baby rats that we saw in our pet shop.

I turned around and said - 'huh, huh. Look, I know Toby is spoiled but I think buying him live food is going a bit too far'.

I think he got the message :lol:

#23 ·
We used to have a big problem with our cats fishing in our fishpond. We went through sooo many fish it wasnt funny and tried so many different things, i think eventually they just lost interest because our current fish have been alive and kickin for quite a long time now.

If your thinkin bout getting any more fish, put chickenwire over the top of the tank. :wink:

#24 ·
Jimmyness said:
We used to have a big problem with our cats fishing in our fishpond. We went through sooo many fish it wasnt funny and tried so many different things, i think eventually they just lost interest because our current fish have been alive and kickin for quite a long time now.

If your thinkin bout getting any more fish, put chickenwire over the top of the tank. :wink:
I've already suggested he should buy a top cover for the tank. And I did warn him several times that he ought to have got one just in case. My brothers fish survived my mothers cats for about 12 years - there was a plastic cover thing on the top of his bowl with holes in.

sigh

#26 ·
When I only had Onyx, I had a 20 gal tank. It was in the kitchen and she used to climb on the chair and jump up to sit on top of the tank, on the plastic lid, and try to go fishing in the opening for the filter. The lid was so flimsy that I was convinced that one day I would come home to the lid & light in the tank along with electrocuted fishies & Kitty.

So I moved the chair near the tank out of the way. It should never be said that cats are not resourceful and can't plan....Onyx wanted to on top of that tank so bad that she finally figured out that if she took a running leap onto another kitchen chair (which was on casters), her momentum would carry her and the chair over to the tank.

There was no reasoning with her...Ended up getting rid of the tank...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.