When did you become a crazy cat lady/man? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

When did you become a crazy cat lady/man?

I officially feel like I've hit some kind of milestone in cat ownership.

I've had Humbert, my 7-year-old rescue and first cat ever, since late August and, although my work hours can be long some days, I've never been away for more than 12 hours. Today, I'm going out of town on business and won't be back until Friday! I have a roommate who will be taking care of Humbert, but I found myself leaving her all the crazy instructions and nuances I could think of, about feeding and playing and sleeping habits - she LIVES WITH US so she knows this! But I couldn't help it! I'm even leaving me-scented clothing around my room (where he hangs out during the day and sleeps at night) to try and make him feel better while I'm gone (he's a momma's boy - he likes my roommate but he's definitely MY cat).

So I feel like my insane over-preparations (and loads of instructions for someone who lives with Humbert and me!) have catapulted me into crazy-ca-lady territory. Anyone else have that moment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Premier Cat

While we were both in the Navy, with VERY demanding schedules, I became a crazy cat lady. After we adopted Billy - the only kitten we ever adopted I was totally in love with my 3 cats - putting them first. At times our active duty schedules forced us to be gone not just days but overnight or days at a time. We often had unexpected security alerts or unplanned "fast cruises" that secured anyone from leaving the ship. Luckily, we had a wonderful neighbor that would come over on a moment's notice. It was just the way it was then and the cats adjusted. She had her own cat so totally understood.

Now-a-days I feel guilty if I'm gone more than a few hours thinking the cats are pining for my return - crying for me. Once home I realize that they have snoozed the entire day away not missing me at all. Don't worry - cats are very adaptable and will adjust to whatever routine you adopt.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Banned

After going up to see my brother and getting sat on by his now 15-year-old tabby Willow during a particularly stressful time in my life (that FINALLY has come to an end, hurrah!), and realizing how much I really wanted to have that in my own place, all the time. She's one of those cats that gives face pats and arm hugs with her front paws. Now I say I go up there as much to get sat on by Willow (and shed on by bro's Golden Retriever, Abby) as I do to see bro and my two nephews.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Premier Cat

Don't worry, I do the same thing! My boys stay with the animals when we go out of town and they know the routine however I leave them lengthy notes on care and emergency info. In case we all go out on vacation I leave the animal sitters (one of them is a vet tech!) even more lengthy instructions. I can't help it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Premier Cat

CatMomNY your offically a bonified cat lady. I call my youngest son to find out how my "grandcats" are doing!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Cat Addict

I had the gift of gab from a very young age....shocking, I know When I once asked my mom "what was my first word", she cracked up and said that I did not really speak first words, I just started speaking sentences, and she remembers the first one: "Mom, look at that terrific cat!" My mom is not a crazy person (like me) that would make up such things, so I believe her She said she literally dropped her glass of water she was drinking from when I said this, and that I never shut up from that moment
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by howsefrau32 View Post
I just started speaking sentences, and she remembers the first one: "Mom, look at that terrific cat!"
Wow!! I've never heard of someone starting out by speaking an entire sentence before! How old were you when you started speaking?!

I think I've always been a cat person, I don't consider it crazy, just... compassionate on the issue? When I was 5 I was asking my father for a cat. Which he got (actually, which he found as a little kitten). And after my first cat died only three years later I really wanted another cat. My dad says he couldn't face getting another cat but... I'm an only child. I got what I wanted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by Carmel; 11-12-2013 at 05:25 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Cat Addict

Carmel - that is funny, you were an only child so you got what you wanted. Oh, how I longed to be an only child, but had 3 other siblings. My mom said I was almost a year old when I just started to speak, and it was sentences. I was one of those kids that talked non stop and asked "why" about everything. And I remember just loving cats from a very young age, although I didn't have my first cat until I was 11. He was a little black cat, that I named Spooky. I only had him 3-4 years, and he ran away when we moved....my mom never even had him fixed, things were different then. I can't remember a time though that I was not absolutely addicted to cats, and I have passed it on to my two daughters, they are both future crazy cat ladies as well
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Cool Cat

Hmm.. prior to getting my cat, I did a ton of research on the breed. I loved the breed and couldn't wait to get my own. I didn't really know anything about cats as a species, but knew almost anything about his breed.

After I got him I started doing more and more research on general topics -- food, behavior, body language, health etc. Now I could talk about cats all day with someone, do volunteer work at a small cat shelter 3-5 days per week, and am completely addicted to cats..

So I guess somewhere in there is when I became a crazy cat guy.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Cat Addict

I think I always had "crazy cat guy" in me. Growing up we only had the barn cats and they were pretty feral, but i managed to tame a few.

But really the start of the crazy part was when I adopted Simon in March of 2006. He was my friend. It was just him and me during some really difficult times.

Then I started volunteering at the no-kill cat shelter, and that pretty much completed the final check-offs on the list for crazy cat people.

Here is my list of qualifications for being a crazy cat dad:
1. Cannot walk across living room without stepping on cat toy
2. Own 3 pieces of cat-themed art
3. Almost exclusively only receive birthday cards with the picture of a cat on the front
4. When talking to friends, instead of using normal terms of affection like "buddy" or "pal", use terms like "kitten" or "fuzzy butt"
5. Joined an online cat forum
6. Check said forum regularly, usually at least twice a day
7. Give more monetary donations to animal charities than charities for people
8. Have serious feelings of dread if no one greets me when I walk in the door
9. Finally understand (and am no longer repulsed by) the phrase "in our house pet hair is a condiment"
10. Currently have 33 photos of my cats on cell phone, 12 of shelter cats, 1 of my mom, and 1 of my nieces and nephews

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page