Low carb, low sugar? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Low carb, low sugar?

Does anyone do a low-carb, low-sugar diet? The doc says I'm at risk for diabetes and need to make a few changes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 10:14 PM
Cat Addict

My BF is type 1 diabetic, so I'm very familiar with that sort of diet.

The easiest way to do it is to cook everything yourself, for example buy canned tomato puree rather than pasta sauce and add your own herbs. Use whole grain pasta/breads, and snack on nuts and veggies rather than chips and pop. You'd be AMAZED at what has added sugar - anything that ends in 'crose' is sugar, and concentrated apple juice counts too! Extra sugar is in everything from ketchup to freezer meals.

Drink more water, no sugared beverages. If you drink coffee go down by a sugar. Adding extra fibre can help too - my BF has all bran flakes for breakfast every morning with a little splenda on top. (I eat it sometimes too, but I weaned myself off the sugar so I eat it plain with milk )

TBH though, the biggest thing you can do to turn things around is to be more active. It doesn't have to be big things - go for a walk on your break at lunch and eat a small salad along with a smaller meal portion. Walk to the corner store rather than drive. Go for a 10m walk every day, or do aquasize classes.

It's not so much about doing 'no carb' as there are carbs in EVERYTHING (fruit, veggies, meat, EVERYTHING), it's about eating less white grains (bread, pasta, white potatoes) and more green veggies. A little less meat (do meatless lunches, or meatless Mondays), and a little less fat.

I used to have a pretty healthy diet, but even just making a few small changes like parking on the opposite end of the mall from where I work and having fruit with my lunch instead of cookies helped me loose 10lbs in 3 months - in a sustainable and maintainable way.

Last edited by librarychick; 07-30-2015 at 10:17 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 01:14 AM
Cat Addict

I do a diet that is shipped to me because I'm lazy...lol. It is low carb and low sugar and appropriate for diabetics. It is called BistroMD. The food is yummy and there is enough of it that I am not starving. They send three meals and two snacks per day. It arrives once a week in a cooler on dry ice. I lost 42 pounds on this diet and I still do it five days per week because I like their food and I hate to cook. I also exercise three to four times per week. I do spin classes and these really help with wright loss and maintenance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 11:30 AM
Premier Cat

When I had my stroke 3 years ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I was WELL into the diabetic numbers. I knew that the only way change would be sustainable is if I made it reasonable. No cutting out any single food group. Things like Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem etc wouldn't be for me, I can't do that for the rest of my life.

I started tracking my calories on a popular tracking website (not sure I can share the name so Mods, delete if necessary). I use MyFitnessPal.com. It lets me watch all my macronutriets and plan them. Macros as in Proteins, fats, and carbs as well as micronutrients such as fiber, potassium etc.

When I was diagnosed I set my carb limit to 130grams per day. I wanted high enough not to be constantly frustrated, but low enough to get numbers down FAST. I was put on oral meds and between the two within 4 months I was out of the diabetic numbers and back down to regular blood sugar levels.

My carbs are now set at 200 grams per day for sustainability. I eat what I want and as long as I stay below 200 (or very little above it on a special occasion) I"m happy.

THe only food I cut completely out of my diet was soda. 99.99% of the time I'm drinking water. I eat ice cream, cake, candy, pizza, frozen dinners (providing they are low(ish) sodium), fruit in amounts beyond imagination, etc.

So far I'm 140+lbs down, no longer diabetic, no longer on diabetes meds, and I'm quite comfortable sustaining from here. It's not a struggle at all since I don't deprive myself of anything. I knew that fad diets weren't the thing because the minute I stopped doing that.. I'd gain weight back AND possibly mess up my blood sugar again. I couldn't have someone watching me for the rest of my life (had to be accountable to ONLY myself). Having food delivered woudn't work, the minute I stopped them I still wouldn't have learned about portion control and how to cook healthy meals so I'd start gaining again (been there, done that, had the stretch marks to prove it). I had to learn to feed myself properly, control my own appetite, and motivate myself. If I lose more weight along the way, great.... if not I'm VERY OK with where I am now.

So, even though you're not after weight loss you still need to make your changes reasonable and sustainable. You can't live the rest of your life wishing you could eat a donut and know you can never have one again... it's not reasonable. Instead make room for the things you want, whether it be calories or carbs
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 01:07 PM
Cool Cat

I follow a low sugar, lower carb eating plan. I exercise 5-6 days a week. On the days I am training I keep my carbs on the higher end, but usually no higher than 100g. Diabetes does run in my family, on my Mother's side. I know it is a risk for me and that is one reason that I watch my sugar/carb intake. The other is that it has been easier for me to maintain my weight this way as I have gotten older.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 01:14 PM
Premier Cat

^ I didn't mention that, thank you JK.

MFP (MyFitnessPal.com) Automatically updates your macros when you log exercise. So when I do exercise (I lost all 140lbs by walking and swimming) it increases macros like Carbohydrates and calories since you burned a large amount. Since I"m @ maintenance I eat back the majority of my exercise calories/carbs.

I've been known to get in a really good walk and swim a few extra days when I know Im going out to dinner So I can make room in my week for the extra calorie and carb load.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 02:36 PM
Cool Cat

That's awesome Mow Mow! Congratulations on your weight loss and getting off of diabetes medication.

I totally agree that changes have to be reasonable and sustainable. I never think of being on a diet, I think of having a sensible eating plan and not feeling deprived.

I forgot to mention that I use MFP too. I started using it almost 2 years ago, and it has really helped me stay honest as far as how much I eat and what my macros are.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 07:12 PM
Cat Addict

I completely agree that it can't be about deprivation. My goal is to lose about 30 lbs - but I'm going slow and steady. I don't want to drop weight suddenly, then pick it all back up after. I gained a bunch of weight over the past few years, the last 10lbs of it due to herniating a disc in my spine last year.

I want to be overall healthier - to prevent my back and knees from getting worse. I'm stronger now, and am halfway to my goal after deciding to put in real effort at the end of April.

It's amazing what a tiny change can do over a long term. I started packing a salad to eat with my lunch at work, meaning the 'carby' portion of my lunch is smaller, and having a single piece of dark chocolate or a piece of fruit as a dessert. It made a HUGE change, and all my coworkers are always eyeing up my lunch

My favorite is cucumber, tomato, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Sometimes I add a little cheese (mozzarella or feta) on top to switch things up. But since I really like veggies I don't need much.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks guys!!! I'd never heard of MyFitnessPal, I joined up Friday!

As far as physical activity, I ride my bike a lot, and I'm taking out a Y membership.

I think this is doable. It's all about a more sensible diet and finding a plan that works for me. I don't have to give up pizza?

btw, I meant this thread to be in the lounge.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 10:51 PM
Cat Addict

That's it exactly - it isn't about NEVER eating your favorite foods. It's about eating unhealthy foods infrequently.

For example, I limit myself to eating out once a week - twice for a special occasion. Even then I pick less unhealthy options - a mcdouble rather than a 1/4lber at McDonald's, the chicken tacos at BPs rather than a pizza. That sort of thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page