Caterpillars! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Caterpillars!

What's the strangest prey your cat has ever brought inside? I had one years ago that would bring in earthworms after rain storms and bite them in half - yuck!
Now our little female has discovered tent caterpillars. Unfortunately, there is an endless supply of them in the back yard because we're experiencing a major infestation. She's so proud of them, talking at the top of her lungs as she brings them into the house. We didn't hear so much vocalization when she brought in mice, in fact we usually didn't even know she'd done it until the next day when we stumbled over the remains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 11:13 PM
Jr. Cat

Kittyrina used to bring in garden snakes when she was younger. When we lived in Nebraska, and Joopy had all 4 legs he would bring in things like birds and baby bunnies, take them upstairs and then set them free in my son's room where he would then sit on the bed and watch my son (3 years old at the time) chase them and try to catch them! I swear he was trying to teach my son to hunt!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 12:56 AM
Jr. Cat

The only time my cat brought something home, it was a teenage-sized gecko he found in the backyard. He gifted it to my mother, but she reacted awfully and he spent the next two days avoiding her. Now he just hunts crickets, moths and smaller geckos around. Once they're dead, he just leaves them there and watches as the ants drag the corpses away. He's kinda evil, but I forgive him cause he's cute. And he's afraid of cockroaches. When a roach shows up, he'll usually call someone and ask us to kill it. Well, at least that's what I believe he's trying to say. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 08:34 AM
Cat Addict

Ours stay in more these days but we have had all sorts - half dead rats are the worst!! Mutilated moths bother me most for some reason I can't explain. Shrews (both "normal" and pygmy) and field mice are common prey. Voles seem less common - water voles even more so.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 01:29 PM
Cat Addict

Once my neighbor had cut out paper bats hanging for Halloween and my mama cat would bring them home to me meowing her "present" meow.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 05:29 PM
Cat Addict

Love that, cat owner.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 10:56 PM
Cat Addict

Grasshoppers, crickets, moths, a frog, a woodcock, rabbits, small birds, voles, mice, chipmunks, red squirrels, a flying squirrel, gray squirrels, a wild turkey poult. The woodcock was fine, it flew away.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 08:21 AM
Cat Addict

I once was interviewing someone for a job when the resident cat brought in a half dead rabbit that I had to catch mid inteview.....
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 07:52 AM
Premier Cat

Mine are indoor cats but have 24/7 access to the screened in porch. One night one of them brought me one of those gigantic water bugs - they look like giant **** roaches and it scampered up my arm. I screamed and my husband got so rattled he woke up and grabbed the gun!! Thank God he didn't blow my arm off or the cat away!! Took awhile before he was able to find the bug and that was the end of sleep for me that night!!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in