Cat Forum banner

the cat won't leave the computer area alone!

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  CCG 
#1 ·
we have tried everything to keep the cat from going at the back of the computer desk that has all kinds of wires and the power strip. not only has he walked around there and refused to come out (we can't even reach him when he does that) but when he walks to the side he sometimes is able to walk right on the power strip and turn it off! obviously that is not good, and being behind the computer with all those wires is dangerous. i bought a "stay off" spray that i try to spray daily, and that doesn't seem to deter him (long). what other options do i have???

#2 ·
Oh, I feel for you. My hubby does computer repair on the side, and we currently have 5 computers set up around the house.

Some things that we have done is to block off access to behind desks, we wire tie the wires together so they are not scattered around, we have perches/sratchies in my hubby's office to give them something to do, and the biggest things is the can of compressed air. If they are doing something they aren't supposed to do they get a shot of air in the butt.

Good luck, it's an ongoing battle at my house.

#3 ·
I don't know what kind of setup you have, but... we pushed our PC console to the back of the window wall, then we cut two boards that are quite tall and attached them to the sides of the console and then used duct tape and taped them to the walls... not pretty, but it does the trick. They cannot get in on the sides, or underneath now. I always worry about the little fosters in here, their tiny teeth can bite through cords quite quickly....

#7 ·
Infinity said:
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&WebPage_ID=3

Combine that with some bitter apple, or you may have to wrap it again with aluminum foil.
what was that website you included? it didn't work. well i haven't tried bitter apple, but i tried hartz stay off spray for cats (and dogs), and that only seems to work initially, and not all the time. i bought ties today, so those will go on soon!!

#8 ·
our_cat-mickey said:
Infinity said:
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&WebPage_ID=3

Combine that with some bitter apple, or you may have to wrap it again with aluminum foil.
what was that website you included? it didn't work. well i haven't tried bitter apple, but i tried hartz stay off spray for cats (and dogs), and that only seems to work initially, and not all the time. i bought ties today, so those will go on soon!!
You're right, they changed their site and it won't take now. I'll try something else.

Here's the product http://www.techflex.com/prod_FWN.asp

Buy it at Parts Express.

#9 ·
We purchased from a hardware store some flexible plastic tubing and cut it through on 1 side and wrapped the cords inside the tube. We then closed the tube with plastic ties. It makes a neat package and all the cords are safely inside from the computer up to the socket. Works like a charm! :)

#10 ·
Unless your cat is a wire-chewer, I really wouldn't worry about it too much. The only problem I can see is that some cable might get pulled out if it wasn't in very securely. And that's not going to hurt the cat.

However, it's a whole different story if your cat likes to actually CHEW on the wires. Then you're going to have to protect them somehow. I've found the spiral wire wrap that Radio Shack sells to be pretty easy to use, and not too expensive.

I've given up on trying to get my cats to stay away from wires and cables. But nobody's ever gotten hurt. Mellie is a wire-chewer, but she only chews very small wires, so I've had to splice the wires to my speakers and subwoofer a couple times, and the wires that have any voltage to speak of on them I've protected with the wire wrap.

#12 ·
How about a spray?

I'm sure there must be many ways to redesign the space to discourage them but have you tried a spray like Feliway or something? I wonder if something like that might have an effect... just a tought! :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.