Warrior Cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Warrior Cats

I'm interested in Warrior cat books. I am now readin' Firestar's Quest, And they sound like very good books.

From the first series:

WARRIORS FIRST ARC

#1. Into The Wild
#2. Fire And Ice
#3. Forest of Secrets
#4. Rising Storm
#5. A Dangerous Path
#6. The Darkest

WARRIORS: THE NEW PROPHECY

#1. Midnight
#2. Moonrise
#3. Dawn
#4. Starlight
#5. Twilight
#6. Sunset

WARRIORS: THE POWER OF THREE

#1. The Sight
#2. Dark River

WARRIORS MANGA

#1. The Lost Warrior
#2. Warrior's Refuge

WARRIORS SUPER EDITON
#1. Firestar's Quest

WARRIORS FIELD GUIDE
#1. Secret of the Clans

And, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Premier Cat

I have read the first two series' of books and enjoyed them, though I found the themes in all of the books disturbingly graphic and violent.
I had purchase one of the Manga books without knowing what it was, and I didn't really like that type of storytelling, though it was good to know what had happened to Greystripe. I sent that book to another CF member who enjoyed it.
Will the Powers of Three be another 6 book series?

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 04:11 PM
Cool Cat

Funnily enough, I just read Firestar's Quest last night (I got it from the library). I didn't know there were two new books out. I might read the new manga in the bookstore, since I can never find it in libraries and I'm certainly not buying a book that takes, what, 15 minutes to read?

They're entertaining books but not great art. It's hard to keep characters straight since every cat in the clan seems to have one of the same three names. No matter what the authors (there are two authors working on the series, neither of whom is actually named Erin Hunter) say about basing the cats' behavior on studying ferals, the cats behave like people in little fur suits, not like cats. (I especially love how each feral queen appears to have only one litter, so that they don't have more children than would be normal for a human woman.) But that's pretty much par for the course in animal stories.

I have to admit the thing that bugs me most is the bit in the very first book about how neutering cats is bad because it makes them fat and lazy. That's just what we need kids to be reading, right?

That said, like I said, they're entertaining (obviously I liked them enough that I read them all from the library, although I haven't bought any of them.)

If you like fantasy cat stories, Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams is many times better (although of course the cats still act like people, but like I said, it's the rare animal story where that's not true).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany
Funnily enough, I just read Firestar's Quest last night (I got it from the library). I didn't know there were two new books out. I might read the new manga in the bookstore, since I can never find it in libraries and I'm certainly not buying a book that takes, what, 15 minutes to read?

They're entertaining books but not great art. It's hard to keep characters straight since every cat in the clan seems to have one of the same three names. No matter what the authors (there are two authors working on the series, neither of whom is actually named Erin Hunter) say about basing the cats' behavior on studying ferals, the cats behave like people in little fur suits, not like cats. (I especially love how each feral queen appears to have only one litter, so that they don't have more children than would be normal for a human woman.) But that's pretty much par for the course in animal stories.

I have to admit the thing that bugs me most is the bit in the very first book about how neutering cats is bad because it makes them fat and lazy. That's just what we need kids to be reading, right?

That said, like I said, they're entertaining (obviously I liked them enough that I read them all from the library, although I haven't bought any of them.)

If you like fantasy cat stories, Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams is many times better (although of course the cats still act like people, but like I said, it's the rare animal story where that's not true).
Dude, I'm on page 70.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Yes, Heidi sent me the book on Graystripe, and it was awesome! I'm still on the first book of the New Prophency. I tend to get busy and forget about books I'm reading!

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany
It's hard to keep characters straight since every cat in the clan seems to have one of the same three names. No matter what the authors (there are two authors working on the series, neither of whom is actually named Erin Hunter) say about basing the cats' behavior on studying ferals, the cats behave like people in little fur suits, not like cats. (I especially love how each feral queen appears to have only one litter, so that they don't have more children than would be normal for a human woman.) But that's pretty much par for the course in animal stories.

The cats are given one name when they are born followed by the word "kit". When they are older, they become apprentices and the word "paw" is then added to their name, replacing the kit. It's when they become warriors that the naming gets tricky. They still have the basic name given at birth, but then any word relating to cats can be added (pelt, claw) and not related to cats (flight, feather, pool, star). For example (these are cats from Warriors: The New Prophecy):

Leafkit/Leafpaw/Leafpool
Squirrelkit/Squirrelpaw/Squirrelflight
Crowkit/Crowpaw/Crowfeather-He chose feather in memory of Feathertail, who died saving him and the Tribe of Running Water from Sharptooth.

As for the feral queens only having one litter, Ferncloud had two litters-Shrewpaw (who was killed during the trek to their new home) was part of her first litter and Hollykit, Larchkit, and Birchkit/paw were her second litter. Hollykit and Larchkit died from starvation due to the lack of food in their old home.

I'm assuming the anti-neautering message is not in the Warriors: The New Prophecy series? I've read books 1-5 and I don't recall anything about neutering.

----------
Renée
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kitties
I'm assuming the anti-neautering message is not in the Warriors: The New Prophecy series? I've read books 1-5 and I don't recall anything about neutering.
I believe it is in the first series, it is mostly denoted with scorn when "kittypet" is used as a slur against another cat.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Kitten

Re: Warrior Cats

I've read most of the first segment of Warrior's series. It was a little hard on me because I kept noticing errors. (Garlic for instance, is highly toxic to cats and was used for healing in the book.) I did love the series, but I think it would have been better if they'd taken the time to edit it properly.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Premier Cat

I have very much enjoyed the "Ratha" series by Clare Bell.

http://www.rathascourage.com/

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216

I just got the complete six-book set of "The New Prophency" for Christmas!!! I already read the book "Midnight", and am starting on "Moonrise".

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page