Rum For Error - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

When medic Mary Doyle had heard that the story of the injured man had panned out, she'd gotten the coordinates for the camp, grabbed her gear and double-timed it. Now she stood by the cave in which the inhabitants of collection of shelters used to store food, and, apparently strange injured humans. She took a slug from her canteen. Mary was small, but toned with jet-black hair and dark skin that one would not associate with her Irish name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Her father was American, her mother a Pacific Islander.

Metal doors rattled as curious onlookers began to emerge one by one, then two by two from their dwellings. THEY'RE LIKE CATS, she reminded herself. THEY'RE JUST WAKING UP FROM AFTERNOON SIESTA. It was probably part of their biorhythym . ESPECIALLY IN THIS HEAT.
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Mary thirsted. As she raised her long tapery hand to wipe grit from her face, she reeled. The thirst came on her suddenly, she was torrid, parched to her very core. When she righted herself she came face to face with a Rumian boy, determinatedly blocking her path. She gazed sternly at the malkin sentry. The kid seemed made of stone. without changing the severity of her countenance, she reached in her pocket and tossed him a pack of yogurt-covered raisins. 'I was SAVING that' she quipped as she passed him and entered the cave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Clarence grinned 100 watts. 'maybe he's an organnarc runner...' 'He's a patient, and as such, he belongs to ME.' The words rang clear as Mary's tall, thin frame grew in the generator lights. Riley smiled, considering the irony. FINALLY someone was backing him up, and it was the one he'd all but ordered to stay behind. Clarence walked toward the sunlight of the entrance. 'Jokes, people, co-me-DY...'
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Sylvia followed Clarence from the cave. 'Hey, wait up, I wanna borrow your Etha-Jam, see if I can pick up some smooth tunes Earthward...' She turned momentarily to Mary. 'I typed in that beverage data you gave me, last night. Key lime soda! Stay 5...' As she left the cave, Mary opened her kit. But she couldn't avert Riley's eyes.
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

'Mary', Riley said, his voice soft but with a hint of approaching thunder. She turned her back on him, the only one in Chili Company who could get away with it. 'All right. You play this how you need to. But this isn't going to go away Lelei.' Mary snapped on gloves, did not react to her islander nickname. Riley turned on his boot heel, and made for the sunlight.

Last edited by bluemilk; 09-29-2014 at 06:52 PM.
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Mary gave the mystery man, a spacer of some kind, she'd guessed, a quick once-over. 'Ethan, prep me a 'bot, would you?' she called. Loud as she was, it didn't wake the unconscious man. She was still ticked at her C.O.
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

RILEY thought Mary, JUST DOESN'T UNDERSTAND. He was cool with her with all the company, but he could be such a ...COMMANDER. He wanted his medic to get a physical, suspecting something specific. Mary, suspecting the same thing, had found a way to dodge it. The fear that haunted her was not nameless. DIABETES. The disease had plagued generations of her family, on mom's side.
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

While it had meant death to her early ancestors, and an altered lifestyle to many more, to Mary it meant a temporary transfer to a station or Earthside hospital for treatment. Pancreatic nanite recombinant therapy. It would take two weeks, but was proven effective.
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Oh, yes. but those 2 weeks would be grueling, as the nanites repaired damage, deconstructed, and reconstructed. and it would be months-or even years-before the last nanites shut down, and passed from her system. During that time... She began to rig an I.V. she was getting married in six weeks. She wanted CHILDREN...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page