Rum For Error - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Rum For Error

Light years away from it's homeworld, a can rolled in in the desert. UV and gamma rays from Rum Su's white giant star bathed the desert and were deflected by the can's rad shielding and alloy. Indeed, the vehicle, a Tactical Forces (Tacs) reconnaissance craft commonly known as a can, utilized energy from the sun. The cylindrical vehicle hovered off the ground and was covered with solar panels.

Lieutenant Riley Clark, leader of Tac group C was taking a turn at the wheel. A blonde Australian, aboriginal ancestry had lent some tone to his skin, while from his American mother he inherited tallness of frame. The desert stretched on and on and then he blinked. 'Chili Company!' he called, slowing the craft. 'Ready to break out the shelters!'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

There was the usual round of grousing of course. 'Listen blokes, we let 'er idle in the sun, we'll be back to full power AND have heat tonight.' Group C, Chili Company, quieted and set to work. Clark, whose father had taught him the ways of the bush in his homeland, began to smear on sunblock that had been designed to block out the harmful rays of alien stars. Magenta 'ranger' hat in place, he stepped to the hatch and keyed to open. 'Gor blimey!' The sun began to beat down on him like a hateful pro wrestler.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Riley worked with his group. ordering the men and women under his command to do nothing he wouldn't do himself. Beginning to sweat in the fierce sun he hefted the huge sack he was carrying. Black, indicating electronics. Behind him someone stumbled, carrying another sack, this one red-orange indicating weapons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

'ANARCHY!' He shouted. The line halted and he drew near to the grim, tattooed muscular private. Instead of launching into a loud obscenity seasoned tirade, he began to rebrief her on the company's procedures-not the ones in the manual, ones he'd devised. Personally. 'We are NOT the Flight Of A Thousand Dragons, private.' he said, spitting the name of her former gang. Vital supplies aren't toted carelessly like shanks of ribs, or blue holos Bags are carried ON not OVER the shoulder, so that a tac's eyes can look straight ahead of her. Or him.' he amended in the direction of another private who was starting to slouch. COMPRENDE, Private?' 'Comprende, sir.' There was silence. A ray of blazing sun was interrupted for a second, a fleeting second. 'Carry on!'
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Chili company came to an ancient dried out lakebed. Riley halted his company, put down his load. 'Anarchy-Sylvia.' Hearing her actual name, curiosity played on her face. 'Forgot something. I'm heading back to the ride. Til I get back, you're queso.' 'She nodded , put down her load of weapons. Correctly. Like he'd taught them. 'DON'T chunder, private. I have a feeling we're not alone out here.'

Riley began to jog briskly back to the transport.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Riley's feet beat a cadence on the hard packed sand. As afternoon began to deepen, he stopped and drew a water bottle from his pouch. A move that masked his disengaging of his plaz-pistol's safety. Noticing birds in flight in the direction he'd come, he mused. The catlike inhabitants of this world liked birds. They were a peaceful people. Kind. Noble. ...movement on a ridgeline... and they loved the hunt. He slowed his stride as the ship came in view. He displayed no panic, no hostility no ill will. He just wanted to get to the transport. He saw scurry dust. So whoever this was, he was coming in. Just like Riley'd planned. He walked as casually as he if he were in his wife's garden to the hatch. Gave the empty desert a cold, warning glare. Then stepped inside.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Darkness in the interior of the craft. So welcome, this quiet, after months in a barracks.

He had to make a call.

'Uplink to Sam, Mekong.' 'G'day Sergeant Clark!' piped Sam (pronounced Shohm) the Mekong's ship computer. Riley rolled his eyes. 'G'day, Sam.' 'What can I do for you, Riley?' 'Patch me through to me wife.' Minutes passed. This was not personal time., he was not supposed to be making this call. If Sam decided to be a stickler... an area of bulkhead began to glow. Pixels resolved. A woman and boy gazed at him from above the little fridge which was mostly stocked with beer.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

'Riley!' Nancy almost squealed. 'Is everything O.K.?' Suddenly Tyler's face filled the screen. 'DAD!' Nancy tugged him back. Riley paused for a second. 'Everything's O'K. on this end.' Nancy was about to dig a little, so he said, 'TYLER! How's my wranglin' roo!' Both mother and father had blonde hair. Riley had some tone to his skin, Nancy had gray eyes. The resulting child continued to amaze them in many ways. His face was delicate yet somehow strong, his friendly blue gray eyes were quick and sometimes had mischief in them.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

'Actually, Tyler has something to tell you.' She shepherded him forward. 'Go ahead, Tyler.' The boy gulped. 'Well Dad, y'know that history test...' He paused, then with a flourish and a little dance produced a paper, a large, red A visible on the front page. 'Aced it! No prob!' As Riley beamed with pride, and started to give his son the 5 by 5 signal, Nancy quickly stepped in. 'Wonderful, dear. Now your dad and I need some time to ourselves.'

Last edited by bluemilk; 05-10-2014 at 03:53 PM.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

'Dad, whatcha been doin' there? Have you seen many Ru-' 'Son, I cant go into that right now. Later, 'k?' Tyler smiled his rakish smile. Father and son shared a Tactical Forces 5x5 salute. Then it was just he and Nancy. She gazed at the cam through the light years. 'Actually, he was supposed to confess to going in the closet, going through your gear again.' Riley clapped his hand to his forehead. 'The plaz rifle's stowed away safe right? Did you...talk to him?' 'Thoroughly. But I wanted him to hear it from you.' 'He...wants to be like his dad.' Both Nancy and Tyler could keep things hidden. But now, Nancy's lip began to shake. 'Riley,I don't know if I can take much more... She began to sob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page