Writing A Book About Aspergers and Animals - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to Zachariah Atteberry
Writing A Book About Aspergers and Animals

Hello I am writing a book (well actually it is 99% finished) about how animals have influenced my life, and helped me with aspergers, a form of autism. I went through a lot since I was young from abuse to depression and wanted to see how many people I could inspire. I was recently published on the government website for one of my articles on on several disability help center websites for the same article. Both were highly praised.

I am going to write this book kind like an autobiography but wanted to do a memoir at first. Then I realized that during middle school and high school, I said very few words at all and repeated the same old "uh" "no" and "maybe" a ton of times. The only exception was conversations with my friends. I only really started carrying on conversations like a normal person would in 11th grade when I started at the shelter because of my shyness, lack of confidence, etc. I guess I could add the dialogue half way in, but what is your opinions on that? I've always had problems with dialogue. Without dialogue the book is 100 pages long which I guess is still publishable. I am making it mostly for disabled people, people with depression, etc.

Any feedback, thoughts, etc are very much appreciated.

Last edited by Zachariah Atteberry; 02-23-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 12:11 AM
Premier Cat

WOW Zack!!
That's Awesome! I think you'll inspire many people, both young and old!
I'm hoping some of our members will have some personal perspective on this for you!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 07:17 AM
Cat Addict

Not sure about the dialog part. So won't be much help there. LOL

My daughter was diagnosed Aspergers when she was very young. Though she is not typical of the diagnosis, it is the closest they could come to that the school system could work with. I have never been totally comfortable with this diagnosis since she is SO atypical in many ways to what they classify it as. BUT it has given her leeway in keeping the teachers off of her while she adjusts to situations and others.

I myself would look forward to reading your work. I encourage my daughter to write, though currently she is more into writing non - fiction then fiction. Now if she would just write or type all these stories she comes up with... LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 09:21 AM
Banned

Zack, I am so happy to hear about this!
And so proud to say that I know you!
Writing a book is an enormous task, not just for you but for anyone.
Congratulations on having the idea and the perseverance to do this.

I would love to read it.

Personally, the only person I know of who any type of diagnosis related to Aspergers is my cousins grandson; but he is an Autistic teenager. Very withdrawn. He loves basketball--and is very hard to deal with.
So, I cannot help you there. I am at a loss at talking to him.

Animals are amazing as to how they can help people.
I have always said that I do not know where I would be if I did not Artie. I have been diagnosed with depression/anxiety. I have had several very bad years. Having Artie, during that time period (3 years), has been a Godsend. He has given me unconditional love. That is important. In my opinion it is the link that holds all of us together. Just having love. and laughter...

Ok---I am preaching...and get carried away..

I think the delay in dialogue will be fine. After all it is autobiographical.

Good luck with the book.
Please keep us updated...

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 03:50 PM
Premier Cat

This is REALLY cool, Zack. You'll be able to tell your story and help others through your writing.

Keep us posted!

About the dialogue-whatever you write, let it come from you, tell your story.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 05:20 PM
Cool Cat

I think it's fantastic that you're so motivated to share your experiences for the benefit of others! As far as the choice to include or exclude dialogue in your book (keeping in mind that I haven't read what you've written so far, and therefore have no idea how adding the dialogue may affect the style, flow, or cohesiveness of the work) I agree with Artiesmom that, if your book is largely autobiographical and details your difficulties with social situations and how you've overcome various challenges in your life related to Asperger's, including the dialogue could potentially help illustrate another way in which you've overcome these challenges.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 06:06 PM
Cool Cat

I think that is awesome! Good luck with the book. I would love to read it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 08:33 PM
Cat Addict

I have always admired those that can write a book. You could add the dialogue and let the publisher decide if it should stay in.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to Zachariah Atteberry
So far the book is at 150 pages. Working on making it a bit longer, at least 200. Still have quite a bit to add so that should not be a problem. Decided I probably will not add dialogue, it is not my thing... to each his own, right? Probably looking at an early 2016 release or late 2015 release since there is still a lot of work to be done.

Last edited by marie73; 03-27-2015 at 01:47 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 01:40 PM
Cat Addict

I think that this will be well received and your kitty looks like my "Mama".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page