Your Favourite Books? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Your Favourite Books?

I was just wondering... what are everyone's favourite (fiction) books?
My number one favourite is The Wild Road by Gabriel King. However I also like:
Northern Lights and The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman (I haven't read the last one yet!)
Feeling Sorry For Celia by Jacqueline Moriarty
One Hit Wonder by Lisa Jewel

At the moment I'm reading Life Of Pi by Yann Martel, which is very good.

There are lots more but I can't remember them at the moment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 07:39 PM

I'm not a big reader but I have always remembered this one book from sixth grade called Where the Red Fern Grows. It was really good. Made me cry .
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 07:44 PM

I've always liked Lady of the Knight. Don't remember who it's by though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 12:49 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
,It would be really hard to choose just one book! When I was a child, I loved Heidi and the Swss Family Robinson. As a young teen, it was the Black Stallion series, and in high school and my twenties historical novels.
Now I like everything from Ken Follett to Stephen King.

One of the best books required in college was John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath. It was not only a masterpiece of writing; it was very hard to put down. George Orwelll's 1984 was excellent (a best seller before it became required) and so was Gone With the Wind. I read it in a weekend, all 1500 pages! Shogun, also 1500 pages, was excellent.

The Red Badge of Courage by Steven Crane is a wonderful character study which tells the real story about war through the eyes of a young patriot.

I cheated. Shame on me! Once you start thinking about it, more and more books come to mind. It's hard to stop!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 04:52 PM
Premier Cat

I am always looking for authors and good books. I usually read thriller/crime novels. Some of my favorite authors are Patricia Cormwell, James Patterson, Tess Gerritson and Tami Hoag. But I am pretty open to anything.
For cat books I enjoy a series of cat mystery books by Lillian Jackson Braun. They are mystery books featuring a man and his two Siamese cats. The author has Siamese herself and you can really tell. The cat's personalities and behaviors are right on.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori
I am always looking for authors and good books. I usually read thriller/crime novels. Some of my favorite authors are Patricia Cormwell, James Patterson, Tess Gerritson and Tami Hoag. But I am pretty open to anything.
For cat books I enjoy a series of cat mystery books by Lillian Jackson Braun. They are mystery books featuring a man and his two Siamese cats. The author has Siamese herself and you can really tell. The cat's personalities and behaviors are right on.
I like mysteries too. I've never heard of Lillian Jackson Braun, but the books sound good - I'll have to look into that.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 05:32 PM

It am going to follow Jeanie's example and name a book that marqued a period of time in my life. It is very hard but I decided to stick to three though. First of all, a book that I read and re-read during childhood was THE WONDERFUL ADVENTURES OF NILS HOLGERSON by Selma Lagerlof. It put its print on me as a child because it deals with transformation : from negative to positive. ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST is amongst the books I devoured as a teenager. Last and of course not least is Eugene Ionesco's play THE RHINOCEROS .
That is not everything by far ...
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 06:49 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Lexxie, you're such a good writer. I'm surprised you don't do a lot of reading!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 11:39 PM

lol, thanks. I do enjoy some books, but they usually are mysteries.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 05:54 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to kittygirl04 Send a message via Yahoo to kittygirl04
Another cat book that is good is The Compleat Cat by Cleveland Amory. It is actually three books in one--so you can probably buy them separately. They are The Cat Who Came for Christmas, The Cat and the Curmudgeon, and The Best Cat Ever. I am also a big fan of James Patterson. I am currently reading Pet Semetary by Stephen King. I never wanted to read the book before because I didn't like the movie. One of my teachers said that she loved the book--so I decided to give it a try. I was reading it last night and it got kind of scary--then Sophie came into the room without me hearing her and meowed real loud--It scared me to death! I like the book so far, but still feel bad for Church, the cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page