Best way to "cut out" the kitties... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Best way to "cut out" the kitties...

From the original image? I keep trying and trying and it's just so tedious! If anyone would be so kind as to explain a good way to cut out the kitties from an image in Photoshop (CS2), I would be forever grateful.

Here is how I've tried it:

Filter -> Extract (It always leaves gunk around the edges)
And the lasso tool.

Also, any other photoshop hints and tips would be appreciated as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 01:08 PM

I use Magnetic lasso

With these options:
Feather 7px
Anti-Aliased checked
Width 7px
Edge Contrast 15%
Frequency 85

And for other photoshop hints, I can find pretty much anything I want to know here: http://www.good-tutorials.com/tutorials/photoshop
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 01:16 PM

I use the quick mask tool

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

I am not a very good teacher, but I hope this helps alil bit...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 03:46 PM

When you are doing this, you are using the brush tool to "paint" over the cat, make sure your transparency is down so you can see through the red...then when you have colored the whole cat or what you want to cut out, hit the quick mask tool to get the "marching ants" then go to the select menu and click inverse to select just the cat and not the whole picture...then when you do that hit "ctrl & alt" and the arrow tool all at the same time to drag the image where you want it...To get rid of the marching ants hit ctrl D and that will deselect the image...I hope this helps along with the diagram....
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 03:48 PM

also black is the red in quick mask or the positive and the white is the negative almost like an eraser if ya mess up, just switch the forground and the background colors when you want to erase or color in...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help everyone. I tried those ways and I still wasn't satisfied with the outcome. The graphic designer I work with here showed me another way that I actually like a bit better.

Use the pen tool and click in spots around the image, but make sure you set the opacity of the color low so you can see where you're clicking.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 04:59 AM

Oh my! The kitties head is floating away!!! Looks like he is having an out of body experience!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 10:03 AM

LOL!

The pen tool is just awesome! I use it in illustrator all the time to create my graphics (not kitty) doing logos and stuff like that...I just like the quick mask tool in PS..I am glad you found an easy way to do it
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 08:18 PM

I have to say -- I'm too much of a perfectionist to do it with a lasso. I do it all by hand with a very little tool when I am WAY zoomed in. It's not so bad anymore -- I've actually gotten a lot faster. *big loser who does things the hard way*
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 09:05 PM

lasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForJazz
I have to say -- I'm too much of a perfectionist to do it with a lasso. I do it all by hand with a very little tool when I am WAY zoomed in. It's not so bad anymore -- I've actually gotten a lot faster. *big loser who does things the hard way*
That may be so but your graphix are awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page