Genealogy - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Genealogy

I've been thinking about what I'm going to do as a career, especially with all the talk of jobs on here. I'm thinking of going back to school, getting my high school diploma and then getting into Genealogy. I've always found it rather interesting and then let it slide thinking it wasn't in big demand. But with the talk about it on here I looked around to see if it was in some sort of big demand and if I could get a career with it. Apprently it is in really high demand alot of people want to know about their family histories. There are alot of jobs out there having to do with it, asset recovery firms and heir tracers, biographical and historical research, and a bunch more.

I always wanted to do something with horses (training, breeding, rescue...) but I'm sure I could still have horses in my life just not as a career.

I was just wondering what everyone thought of a career in Genealogy. Do you think it really is in high demand etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 10:20 AM
Premier Cat

I think it would be fascinating work. I truly don't know if a career in it is would be profitable.

Here is a link to the LDS's site. Maybe you could get info from there http://www.familysearch.org/. I looked briefly at their site yesterday and it appeared to be free, but I bet you could find other links of of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks, I'll look into that site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 04:59 PM

I think if its somthing you would like to do then go ahead! The most important thing is that you are happy with your work and it manages to pay the bills!

Ive always been intrested to find out about family history and so have all my family, my uncle once did a family tree that went back about 10 generations which is quite good as its very hard to do!

Good luck in what you choose
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 05:56 PM
Cool Cat

Our community college offers a couple of classes on genealogy.

There are a couple of local people who write columns for the papers.

The Dallas library has an entire floor dedicated to genealogy.

The Oklahoma Historical Society also has several experts on genealogy.

These are a couple of additional areas to consider.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

I wanted to look up my ex's family. Do you have to spell out six-six-six or can I just use the numbers?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 06:00 PM
Banned

lol...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 02:20 AM
Cat Addict

There are a lot of jobs and businesses out there that deal with genealogy, but really I don't think its very viable as a career objective or area of study. Those that deal directly with genealogy are historians. History as a general area of study is already a fairly narrow career path, and genealogy even more so. The fact is, most of the jobs available in these genealogy businesses are likely data entry, customer service, sales, as well as IT personnel, computer programmers, business professionals, etc, and the people who work those jobs probably do very little that actually has to do with genealogy. I suppose I can compare it to my own job in which I work for a company that handles student loans, but I, along with a huge percentage of other people within the company, do absolutely nothing within my job that requires even a sliver of knowledge about loans.

Getting your diploma is an excellent idea, and just that will open up so many more doors for you. After that, you'll probably want to think about starting out by taking some classes through a tech college, or enrolling in a degree program. I would highly suggest some communications and business classes as these are some of the basic requirements for advancement within most companies, and basic requirements for a wide variety of careers.
I know a lot of people who have found entry level jobs with a decent company and then have taken advantage of tuition reimbursement programs to further their education as well as their careers at the company's cost. This may be something to consider as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page