Melbourn! (Warning, pic heavy) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jimmyness
Melbourn! (Warning, pic heavy)

I flew down to Melbourn and stayed for a week for a friends 18th birthday. I was suprised as to how different it was from Brisbane, it was freeeezing cold and had a very English feel to it. There where heaps of realy realy old buildings that made me think on Mary Poppins, and their streets are lined with non-native maple looking trees, because its Autumn i got to experience what its like to actually see tree's losing their leaves. (Australian trees dont lose their leaves in Autumn)

Anyways here are some pics (sorry there are so many)

Building where the melbourn comedy festival was taking place

My very first time holding a bunny!

Yes we made a big fuss over him

I LOVED this old building!

Mary Poppins chimneys!!

And take a look at the one behind it!

The church in the afternoon

Poor Mr Seagul is missing a foot!

And that concludes my exciting trip to Melbourn! If it wasnt for the cold weather id gladly live there, the place has so much culture and i felt very safe walking the streets, even in the city at night time. The whole place had just such a great atmosphere to it, i was realy sad to leave. But let me tell you i sure was glad to get back to the warm Queensland weather though!

Sincerely, Krystle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 08:18 AM

WOW! Beautiful pictures! I love seeing places like this. I'll most likely never get there. So, we are in Spring here and Melbourne is in Autumn season now right? We have lots of cherry blossoms right now. It's peak time for viewing them in DC. But, the trees are all over the place and they are really beautiful. Delicate bunches of pink and white flowers.

Q: Why don't Austrailian trees lose their leaves in the Fall? They do in Melbourne but not Brisbane? Why?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Banned

It entirely depends on the species of tree. I know for a fact that there are some trees all over Australia that DO lose their leaves.

South of the equator (estimated months, as it obviously depends on where one is):

Jul-Aug: Winter
Sept - Nov: Spring
Dec-Mar: summer
April - June: Autumn.

Some great pictures there, I really want to go back sometime. Maybe next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Premier Cat

Gorgeous pictures. I'm glad that you had such a good time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Beautiful, Krystle! I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip. Now we can all share some of the sights.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jimmyness
Quote:
Originally Posted by yepp
Q: Why don't Austrailian trees lose their leaves in the Fall? They do in Melbourne but not Brisbane? Why?
Thats because most of the tree's in Melbourn are imported from overseas. Most Australian tree's dont lose all their leaves in Autumn because our winters dont get cold enough for them to have to, instead they just moderately shed leaves all year round.

There are trees all over Australia that do lose all their leaves in Autumn but those are most likely imported trees too. Because the Queensland government encourages us to support native plant life we have fewer trees that are imported therefore not much of an autumn type atmposphere at this time of year as compared to Melbourn.

Of course there are native trees that do lose a large amount of leaves but those are more likely dry-season deciduous rather than seasonal.

Sincerely, Krystle.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Premier Cat

I love your pictures! It's interesting to see Melbourne, and you have a real knack for textures and colors. Gorgeous shots.

That one building looks familiar, and I realized it's the building they kept showing during the Australian Open coverage. Just beautiful, and I see what you mean about it seeming English.

Holly and Murphy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:36 AM

oh wow! what a beautiful place! thanks for sharing pics with us!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Banned

Hey Krystle! Nice photographs! Melbourne looks a LOT like Downtown Toronto, Canada! In the second photograph, was that where your friend lived? Because that photo looks like my town.

It is interesting being from where you are as to what constitutes a cold climate, Krystle. To you Melbourne is cold. But to me, it would be a warmer city than where I live. Figure the forecast for Melbourne is a low of 10 and a high of 23. I see weather pretty close to what residents of Wellington, New Zealand see being that Wellington is as far south of the Equator as I am north of the Equator. Right now, Wellington's forecast is a low of 9 and a high of 16. And that is a degree or two off from my local forecast. I figure Melbourne's weather is close to what the state of Florida sees. Generally in the low to mid teens during the winter months, yet there exists the possibility of dropping below freezing and seeing a light snowfall. Go to Wellington in 3 months Krystle and I bet Melbourne will seem warm.

Once again, nice photos and thank you for sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page