LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to AmberD
Oprah Friday -- Puppy Mills

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23908872/

Oprah dedicates puppy-mills show to her dog
Her cocker spaniel, Sophie, died last month from kidney failure

Evan Agostini / AP Oprah Winfrey plans to dedicate a show investigating abuses at puppy mills to her cocker spaniel, Sophie, who died last month from kidney failure at the age of 13.

updated 9:32 p.m. ET, Tues., April. 1, 2008
CHICAGO - Oprah Winfrey plans to dedicate a show investigating abuses at puppy mills to her cocker spaniel, Sophie, who died last month from kidney failure.

“Sophie gave me 13 years of unconditional love. She was a true love in my life,” Winfrey says on the broadcast scheduled to air Friday. (Advance remarks from the show were released Tuesday by Harpo Productions.)

The show features special correspondent Lisa Ling investigating puppy mills, which Ling calls “horrific” and “haunting.”

Winfrey says the show is “for anybody anywhere who loves a dog, has ever loved a dog, or just cares about their basic right to humane treatment.”

While Sophie was not a product of a puppy mill, and Winfrey’s three current dogs were adopted from breeders, Winfrey says in the future she would look to adopt from an animal shelter.

“I would never, ever adopt another pet now without going to a shelter to do it. I am a changed woman after seeing this show,” she says.

© 2008 The Associated Press.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Premier Cat

That's the kind of show I won't let myself watch because it's so upsetting, but I'm really glad to hear Oprah say she'll adopt from shelters instead of breeders. She's so influential that I bet they'll see a sudden increase in shelter adoptions because of the show.

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Premier Cat

Im thrilled that Oprah is doing a show on this. Still so many people are unaware of this horrific problem and abuse. I will be tuned in!

The only way I can deal with this is to read the happy endings. Otherwise it crushes me.

2 large puppy mills were shut down in Tucson this year. One a pit bull breeder for fighting dogs. And another with over 700 dogs. Most of them unsocialized. There was a tremendous responce from the public to adopt but now I hear they are being returned cuz they dont know how to deal with unsocialized dogs. I hope my Humane society has classes to help them. Sounds like emotional adoptions with out commitment to learn and make it a sucessful lives for these dogs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Premier Cat

So did anyone watch Oprah's program on puppymills? I thought it was good. I have great hope this will be a big wake up call in this country. I was very surprised to hear the Amish treat dogs the way they do. I thought being religous they would be more humane. Guess I was wrong. How sad. I enjoyed the happy endings and seeing the good that is going on. But walked out and cried when they showed how they choose dogs to be euthanized and showed it. I couldnt handle that part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page