Work rant (LONG) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Work rant (LONG)

Okay. So a year ago I left my beloved home in California. Well, home wasn't so beloved, but my family and friends and the land I lived in were beloved. I was deep in debt, and desperately in need of a safe home for Rotten, Bodie, and myself. So I moved to the godawful desert in Nevada, where it was foretold that high paying jobs grew on trees for anyone with a clean background to pluck.

I took the first job I found. It didn't start off high paying, but the promises they made! Everyone was wonderfully friendly, I saw that right off. The benefits package covered anything and everything: dental, vision, and health were all paid for after nine months of employment. Long wait, but a great package! Promotions were frequent if you were a hard worker. I asked about the pay raise: I could easily achieve $20/hr within two years if I DIDN'T even get promoted! And best of all, they'd pay for 100% of my education. I'd work four ten hour days, or three twelve hour days---that means three to four day weekends! Does a better job exist?

Within two months, I had a raise and a promotion. Two months after that I had another promotion. I hold what is well-known to be the hardest, least thankful, backbreaking position there. I took our storage yard that from the worst in North America to the best in North America, out of all the labs opened by my employer. This includes Canada's labs! They talked about sending me to other labs for me to fix their mess, too, I was so good. Our clients and even our freight shipping drivers went to my boss and told her how good I was, what an improvement I was. Employees who used to turn down overtime rather than work in the yard, because it was so frustrating and backbreaking, started coming in happily every day to work in my yard because the yard under my care was different. Pleasant.

The boss started telling me I was hiding samples that belonged to the client. That she'd seen me making out with my boyfriend on the job. That I was mistreating my employees, and there'd been complaints. A customer I never spoke to supposedly made complaints about my interactions with him. And I was said to be making my employees do all the labor and I did none myself. None of these things ever occurred--I even apologized to my employees in case I'd come off so viciously to them, and each of them was not only saying it wasn't them that complained, they were ANGRY that someone said that about me. And in my current position I'm required to work five eight hour days. I'm also not given the federally required break times.

A year into this job, I still have no benefits except dental. I found that out today, when I went to use the vision benefits. I still do not make a dollar over starting wage--I don't even make ten dollars an hour. I'm still working my fingers until they crack and bleed from the dry bags of dirt I haul around. Today I found out that I'm listed as a part time worker (I used to work sixty hours in one week, and i've always worked at least forty) and that I'm not eligible for education benefits.

I've never felt so used by a job. I've wasted this year here. I'm not out of debt, I'm not educated, I hate the home I live in, and my job has not made it worth it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Wow. This whole thing really blows. Did you get a welcome package by any chance that outlined these things that were promised - most specifically, the benefits. Even without anything in writing, if it's their standard to give full benefits after nine months, HR should be able to fix that. The rest? Your boss is really out to get you for some reason.

Where I work now, I interviewed and was hired, but it was a temp-to-hire after 90 day position. I ended up temping for 9 months!! No benefits, but I was told once I was hired, I would get sick and vacation time put on the books, retroactive to the original 90 day period. So I figured I'd hang in there because I liked my job and the hours. After 9 months, I was fed up and told my temp agency to put me somewhere else, and magically, I received an offer letter the next day. However, the retroactive sick leave and vacation days? Total lie told to me to keep me temping as long as possible. Six years later, I'm still bitter about that.

If I was you, I'd be furious. But I don't understand - two raises and two promotions and you don't make more than the starting wage?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Work rant (LONG)

Honey that is horrible! I am so sorry to hear you this!
I am so mad your boss can't appreciate what he has, I think he is afraid of good you are, he feels intimidated by you, what a jerk (excuse my French!)
What is your job description? Can you look for something else?
I hope things get better for you!!

hugs!!

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Cat Addict

The first thing that popped into my head is that you need to start keeping a diary of the job - hours worked, any weirdness about the boss, etc. It might also help to talk to an attorney who works with labor laws. Don't do anything, just talk to someone for some advice...

If you are feeling like there is "writing on the wall" about this job and the treatment you are getting, having some evidence in advance will make a terrific difference for you in the future if it does blow up. My hubby lost his job at a big corporation last year, after a long period of abusive situations and co-worker back-stabbing, and that advice about keeping a record of stuff was something that we wish someone had told us before the yucky stuff started...It has worked out okay, but we now see it was part of a large, industry-wide trend to discriminate against older workers, and it sure would have felt better to us if we had felt a little more empowered with evidence and facts...

Good luck! Fran
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
You are being used, TrinityQ. Don't quit until you have another job to go to, but don't allow yourself to be walked on. You did a magnificent job. I saw they before and after pictures.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I don't think the boss is really out to get me--I think that lashing out at someone whose job she deals with very little (being me, I'm totally autonomous in the yard) is her way of dealing with frustrations. I have no proof of what I do the yard, no one sees what I do except my employees, who she mysteriously never ASKS what I do out there. I have thought of keeping a diary of work life there. I don't intend to quit, actually I called in sick today so I could go check applications. They are trying to fix my 'part time' status, but somehow I don't think they'll give me back pay for a raise I could have gotten if I were a full-timer. I'm betting it's why I haven't gotten a raise. I was hired as a full time, have always been a full time.

That temp problem is ugly, Marie! Did you go back to them with the letter, or stay moved on?

I was lucky...my one experience with a temp agency was beyond fantastic. They sent me to work before they even hired me, they were so desperate (matter of trust on my part lol). My first day out I was one of twenty people on the job: the second day we were informed our three-day promised job was done and we weren't going back. Then they pulled me aside and told me I was the ONLY one allowed to return lol. It went the same with every employer they sent me to. Within a month, a local feedstore called them as a friend and asked for someone with self motivation, management experience, and ag experience, and I was automatically put in charge of opening a new western gift shop in town How I miss the feedstore/giftshop.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page