DVRs - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
DVRs

I don't have a DVR, and feel really deprived! My VCR is broken, so I can't use it to record programs either. So I checked Google. I get the impression that there is a monthly charge in addition to the purchase price. Is that true? The information pertained to TIVO. Are all VCRs the same, or is the TIVO brand different? Of does it include other features? I would appreciate some input. Thanks.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

My DVR's are provided through Cox Cable, so I'm really no help. I can't believe I didn't have one until last year. They're wonderful!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 04:12 PM

I have Tivo. Our cable company did not offer it at the time I bought it. I got a referbished one through tivo.com. It cost me 50.00 and then i got a lower yearly rate of 13.00 a month. Mine is an 80 hour DVR and it records 2 shows at once. The only down side is when it is recording 2 shows you have to watch one of them. But if your not home then there are 2 shows you missed recorded. It has a cool season pass feature. So if there is a series you like such as American idol. You get a season pass and no matter when it is on or if it is on a different channel it will record it. Like tonight I watch Ghost Whisperer. Well basketball is on, but i checked my tivo this morning and it is gonna record it when it comes on at 11L37 pm. I don't know how I lived without my tivo. If you have any questions let me know! Check out tivo.com there you get a lot of questions answered. I know I did!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Cat Addict

Jeanie, we absolutely LOVE our DVR and couldn't imagine going back to a VCR to rely on.

With our cable company, we pay an addition $10/month for the DVR machine above and beyond the cost of our cable package. There was no "purchase price" for the machine; just a never-ending rental fee which is the $10. On a bright note, if anything ever happens to the machine (which they do, all it is is a glorified computer hard drive) then the cable company will come out and swap out the machine for a different one at no additional cost to us.

As far as the nice things about DVR, it holds 50+ hours of television at a time. If the DVR gets close to being filled up a warning will pop up on your screen that you should delete some of your older programs to free up some space. As a general rule of thumb, I have noticed that a half hour program takes up roughly 1% and an hour-long show is about 2%.

Just like a VCR, you can set up daily or weekly recordings with the touch of a few buttons. Better than a VCR, it will allow you to record 2 programs on 2 different channels at once. I will also let you set a "priority status" on your programming in the event that say a television special comes on and you want to record it but already have 2 other programs during that time slot that you normally pick up. You can basically opt out of recording one of the previous programs for that new event and then the next week it will go back to your previous scheduled recordings.

I can't think of any other specifics to tell you right now but if you come up with any more questions I might be able to think of something.

I have no experience with TiVo so I can't help ya there; sorry.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

The cable company's will rent you a DVR, I think you have to buy one for satellite, not sure. Tivo does charge a monthly fee. For most people, I think they're really happy with the units the cable/satellite companies provide...only the real geeks (like me) insist on Tivo.

If your cable/satellite company will rent you one, I would say try that first. If you like it great. If there are things that annoy you, ask me and I can tell you if a Tivo would make a difference.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Premier Cat

Our DVR is through DirecTV. I love it and can't imagine being without it.

I have no personal experience with Tivo, but I have heard it is still the best; better than either cable or satellite DVRs.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Premier Cat

We get ours through Dish Network. Oh my, I cannot imagine every being without it! It is so easy to program, and record. After we are done for the day, come in, fix supper, and sit down to watch our favorite programs.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
What if you buy your own DVR? Do you still have to pay a service charge to the Satellite Co.? I have the Dish, but I think I'm going to change to Direct TV, and in order to get a DVR you have to use their most expensive package. I'd rather pay once and own the DVR, if that's possible.

Lori, how do you like Direct TV?

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Premier Cat

Jeanie,

Is this kind of what you are looking for? This breaks it down by packages, and specials they have running. Usually with these cable packages, they include a dvr, sometimes up to 4 rooms. Compare between Directv and Dish, and find out who has a better deal. I think they do charge us a monthly $5 fee for using the dvrs, on top of the monthly cable charge, and then you also have to sign a contract lease to commit to a certain number of months/years of use.

https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/wizar...ourSystem1.jsp

One thing I really wish we had done when we had the opportunity, was upgrade to HD DVR, but at the time it was an extra $200. Now I think some of the packages include the HD DVR, depending on how much you want to pay per month.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Cat Addict

Re: DVRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
I don't have a DVR, and feel really deprived! My VCR is broken, so I can't use it to record programs either. So I checked Google. I get the impression that there is a monthly charge in addition to the purchase price. Is that true? The information pertained to TIVO. Are all VCRs the same, or is the TIVO brand different? Of does it include other features? I would appreciate some input. Thanks.
The concept is the very same, TIVO is the pioneer of DVR's, I work for Comcast and our DVR's are made my Motorola. I love our DVR, you can set up series of recording for your favorite shows, set up reminders so it'll alert you when you are watching another channel so you won't miss it, our DVR's are also HD capable so when you get a HD tv In most cases you don't have to exchange the box, ours support: DV, Component and HDMI. You can pause live TV which I love to do!
You can set up your series of recording by priority which works great especially if you are running out of space.
You can Record two shows at the same time (dual tuner DVR)
Our DVR specs are as it follows:
120 Gb hard drive
15 second skip back
45 minute buffer
90 hrs analog, 60 hrs digital,15 hd.

I love my DVR!!

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page