all the promos about digitial TV in Feb 2009 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 51
all the promos about digitial TV in Feb 2009

I have an old TV - 20 years. It's a Sony and still works great, but is not 'digital ready'.

I do have cable, but an analog box. I read that my cable company will still air analog signals for 3 years after "the date", but want everyone to upgrade to digital service which costs a LOT more per month. I hate paying for TV. I do want the extended basic cable to see SciFi and Discovery channels though. Also like Animal Planet, Bravo, TNT, etc.

I have lots of time yet to get that wide screen TV for my wall. I just need about $2,000 to get what I want.

I have a sinking feeling that come 2/09 all my TV viewing will be black screens.
yepp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 19,364
The last I knew there will no longer be analog signals after 2009, but people with old TVs will still be able to use them by adding a converter box that's supposed to cost about $50. There will supposedly be coupons for people who can't afford to pay the $50.

I know that applies to people who receive their TV signals from an antenna. I'm not sure whether it applies to people who receive cable or satellite.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
doodlebug is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 51
Those converter boxes are for people who use antennas or rabbit ears for TV reception. Lots of people in rural areas still use those.

My cable company has me set up with an analog box and on their website, they state they will continue to transmit analog for 3 more years.
yepp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Cat Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 1,843
I know ours will be turning off the analog signal in 2009.
Your TV needs an analog box because it isn't capable to descramble the signal. I believe you will need what Lisa suggested it, Thank you Lisa!

Maria
hypertweeky is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 51
No, I checked today with my cable company. They are a pretty big outfit here in DC area. I think more than 60% are using analog boxes for cable reception. Not everyone went for the digital package. They would lose a lot of money if everyone left.

The FCC does allow some analog transmittal after the 2/09 date and that is what my cable company is banking on.
yepp is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Cat Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 1,843
I am not questioning what yours is doing. I work for a cable company here in Colorado and after 2009 there will be no more (except for the Mountains that don't have an ALL DIGITAL signal node/headend), it varies greatly from area to area, every market is different.


It's only over the air broadcaster that stop broadcasting in analog after Feb 2009. Cable CO's will still send analog signals (except for all digital areas) after that date. At least for a while. They will, however, continue to trim the analog channel lineup in order to add more HD channels.

Maria
hypertweeky is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertweeky
I am not questioning what yours is doing. I work for a cable company here in Colorado and I know ours will be 2009 and no more after that.
Good Luck!
I am not in anyway educated on this as I made the original post, but my cable company says this on their website:

Will consumers be able to watch digital TV on their existing analog sets?

All Cox customers will be able to watch these stations on any TV hooked up to cable. Cox Digital Cable customers already receive these channels in digital format, and Cox is committed to converting these broadcast channels for its analog customers for at least three years after this deadline. Non-cable customers can subscribe to our service or obtain an digital-to-analog converter box from many retail outlets beginning in mid-February 2008.
yepp is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Cat Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 1,843
As I said before, It varies from one cable company to another.
It is important to know that what is being turned off is the broadcasted air signal NOT the actual analog signal, a person that does not subscribe to cable TV won't be able to use rabbit ears, however our customers will still be able to hook up their TV's straight to the outlet in the wall to receive standard channels (2-99), however the line up will gradually migrate to digital meaning a box will be required to view that channel. For instance in our market we have migrated many channels to digital in the last year or so, MSNBC used to be on channel 45 and is now on channel 125 which means that a customer who subscribe to standard cable will need to subscribe to a digital package to view this channel.
I know it can be confusing, so I definitely understand why cable customers are so concerned about this.

Maria
hypertweeky is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertweeky
As I said before, It varies from one cable company to another.
It is important to know that what is being turned off is the broadcasted air signal NOT the actual analog signal, a person that does not subscribe to cable TV won't be able to use rabbit ears, however our customers will still be able to hook up their TV's straight to the outlet in the wall to receive standard channels (2-99), however the line up will gradually migrate to digital meaning a box will be required to view that channel. For instance in our market we have migrated many channels to digital in the last year or so, MSNBC used to be on channel 45 and is now on channel 125 which means that a customer who subscribe to standard cable will need to subscribe to a digital package to view this channel.
I know it can be confusing, so I definitely understand why cable customers are so concerned about this.
All it sums up to is more money for cable. I've been batting the idea of going with satellite or FIOS. I have some time. I really want a new TV.
yepp is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 19,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by yepp
Will consumers be able to watch digital TV on their existing analog sets?

All Cox customers will be able to watch these stations on any TV hooked up to cable. Cox Digital Cable customers already receive these channels in digital format, and Cox is committed to converting these broadcast channels for its analog customers for at least three years after this deadline. Non-cable customers can subscribe to our service or obtain an digital-to-analog converter box from many retail outlets beginning in mid-February 2008.
Read this carefully....it doesn't say that they will continue to broadcast analog signals. It says that they you will be able to watch digital TV on your analog set because they will convert digital signals for analog customers. See the blue text above.

Whether they do the conversion on their end or whether you will need a box on your end is the question...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
doodlebug is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome