Yay, excitement! Antiques! Used stuff! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Yay, excitement! Antiques! Used stuff!

Okay, I'm excited. Sorry, you guys are the only victims I have to tell all things that happen in my life

I went to the one and only thrift store in town today. What did I find (among other finds) but an 1875 edition of John Milton's collected poetry, signed by the first owner in 1876 It's awfully purdy. Here are some advertisements in the back:

MARVELS OF CHEAPNESS! The World Editions Of Famous Authors, consisting of Poetry, Romance, Travel, Adventure, Biography, Etc.

Twenty-four very thick volumes. Twelvemo, illustrated. Being the cheapest complete Editions published. Bound in fancy English cloth. Black and gold. New style.

Ah, listen to that old phrasing

I also found other fun stuff, like computer games "Hellgate, London", "Quake 4", and "Lost Planet: Extreme Condition", and the classic book, A Wilderness Bill of Rights.

Exciting day, exciting day!

What yardsale/antique/used stuff favorites have you found?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
That sounds like fun. I've been to only one yard sale and one auction. I really should go and see what I can get that's interesting!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:03 PM

That is exciting! Wow, what a find!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
That sounds like fun. I've been to only one yard sale and one auction. I really should go and see what I can get that's interesting!
Erm. You're serious? You've only ever been to one yardsale? Oh you're missing out on some of the best stuff in the world! I've got turquoise/coral/silver phoenix necklaces...plants...old books...stereo...picked up Michael Flatley's Feet of Flames today...pliers and calipers from the 1860's that work better than ANY tools you'll find today...how can you live without yardsaling??? You should go this weekend, it'll liven and brighten any day.

Oh yeah. And the people you'll meet...the stories you'll hear...it's really delightful.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Ahh, this is really neat...this Milton has an inscription in the front cover, just the owner's name, some words I couldn't decipher, and the date. Well, the owner was James Travis...maybe Birney, I think...and I could read the word Peculiar and then something indecipherable, and the date was Dec. 25th/76.

But what were Peculiar, and the next word...it began with "Mi" and had some vowels and an "i" at the end...? For the first time in four years, my year of German class helped me. They used an older form of writing a double 's', so it looks like a cursive lowercase f and an 'o' after it. This book was given by or to James Travis Birney on Christmas of 1876 in Peculiar, Missouri.

It was in the time that Peculiar was even made into a town, the time that it was mapped out and surveyed and named. What was this James Birney doing then? Did he go by the name Jim? Was he an educated man, to be carrying Milton's works? Was he a child? Rich? Poor? Did the person who knew him know him so well as to give him a personal sort of religious book as Paradise Lost?

Ahh...this'll keep me busy for a while...

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Senior Cat

I absolutely LOVE yard sales, auctions, and small country stores that sell everything including the kitchen sink.
Our home is filled with beautiful antiques that I/we have found at different garage/yard sales, and auction houses.
There is something about walking around a yard sale or flea market and finding exactly the "right" thing, even though you weren't really looking for it.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1963
There is something about walking around a yard sale or flea market and finding exactly the "right" thing, even though you weren't really looking for it.
There you go

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 07:12 AM
Premier Cat

In Metairie, LA, I used to be a regular at Jefferson Flea Market, a veritable treasure trove of antiques and rarities set in a huge old warehouse. It was always fun to walk through and talk to the people there, and occasionally find a treasure among the trash.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

I'm completely the opposite. Sure I have some old family heirloom stuff around, but going to a yard sale or flea market to pick through other people's junk doesn't appeal to me at all.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
I'm completely the opposite. Sure I have some old family heirloom stuff around, but going to a yard sale or flea market to pick through other people's junk doesn't appeal to me at all.
Junk rarely occurs to me. I feel kind of sneaky and goofy..."hehehe...it's mine, it's all mine...it's a treasure...look at it...it's mine now...I'll love it forever...muahaha, you let it slip out of your hands...wheeeee!" Very enjoyable

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page