I'm done with London - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I'm done with London

I've not been happy in London for a while. I don't understand why so many people think its great. Its expensive and actually - unless you live in Central London or a very expensive area - an absolute dump. Plus I don't actually have anything to stay around for. The one friend that may have encouraged me to stay has proven to be a common thief and - although I can't say I hate my job because I don't - I'm sooooo bored and have absolutely no interest in it whatsoever.

I'm a hopeless scientist and I know it and the area I'm in is so dry. Bored, bored, bored. Plus, my boss drives me nuts.

So - officially on the job hunt. I'm moving back up North close to my folks as quickly as I am able. I've already found one job I'm going to apply for. It will mean retraining and a huge dip in salary but I do not care. Its much cheaper to live up there and I suspect I'll live with my mother in the short term anyway.

Toby has already proven he gets on with dogs and - if I am at my mothers long enough - the two cats will eventually at least tolerate each other.

Wish me luck. As jobs don't exactly grow on trees up North this might take a while ..

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:05 AM

were in the north hun? im in north wales, near chester....maybe even looking for new house mates too....
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal
were in the north hun? im in north wales, near chester....maybe even looking for new house mates too....
My mother lives about 40 miles from Newcastle Upon Tyne so we are looking at the North East of England.

I've never been to Wales - although always wanted to

"FIV != PTS"

Allie and Ridley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:55 AM

Good luck, glad you are getting out of that rat race. Don't know you have stuck it for so long!

You are a scientist, wow sounds exciting.... Are you really clever too?

I'm sure Toby will be fine with your mums cat and the dog, he love seeing the change in you as well I'm sure.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 11:45 AM

come to wales. chester is a tiny city, very green. its great countryside all around. its a lovely place to be.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Premier Cat

Good luck to you Allie. I can understand wanting to get out of the city- I find it sucks so much out of you to be in an area with alot of people who don't know you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Banned

You are spot on about London. Unless one is a millionaire (and I'm guessing you're not?), then there is no where really nice to live. I've stayed with friends in a real dump, that wasn't that far from the centre, yet they were paying about the same as a nice place in Edinburgh.

NuT is fantastic city, so hopefully you can get work there.

Follow your nose, and do what you feel is right for you and Tobes. Forget about everyone else Plus I'm sure being nearer your parents will be much nicer.

Oh and Wales is lovely if you like rain (we used to spend our "summers" there, and I remember it raining a LOT).
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 03:08 PM

Good luck with the job hunting Allie - life is too short to be both living and working in a place where you aren't happy. I went to uni in Newcastle, haven't been back there for years but it is a great place to be, especially if you have family close by. Perhaps you could see if the uni has any openings?

London can be a very lonely place and I also agree with you that it is completely over rated. I commute up there to work but luckily I get to escape back out to the country side at the end of the day - just as well or I would be even more bonkers than I already am by now!

Good luck - I hope you find something fabulous!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Premier Cat

Good luck! Such a big decision, and I wish you much success!!!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsofsmoggies
You are a scientist, wow sounds exciting.... Are you really clever too?
Not really, on both counts.

I've taken time out to think about this more carefully.

I think getting another job just to leave the one I have would be akin to jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. I know what it is I want to do and I'm not convinced I'm going to be happy doing anything else so perhaps its just best to not worry about whatever it is I'm doing now and work on what I do want to do in my spare time. Jumping from one job i don't want to do to another i don't wan to do wont solve anything long term.

I don't know. Perhaps London wouldn't be so problematic if I was doing what I really want. And logically it is best to be down here. Perhaps I should try to convince my mother to come to London. We have talked about it but have no definite plans.

Anyway - lots to think about. This has been going on for a wee while now - which also explains why i haven't got any further with getting a second cat, in case you were wondering.

Whilst I'm here -rather than create a new thread I'll use this one to say I'm not convinced I'm going to be on this forum so much for a little while. As in a few weeks. I may still post bits and pieces but I'm feeling slightly unhappy and unwelcome for a number of personal reasons and I do feel like I get too involved in things I shouldn't.

There are lots of things i need to stop and think about and - I guess because this place means a lot to me - this forum is one of them. So please forgive me being quieter for a while.

Don't know. It would be nice to sit on a deserted beach and just sit and think for a week but I don't think thats very likely to happen. lol

Thanks for the support guys.

"FIV != PTS"

Allie and Ridley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page