Miracles happen (small miracle, sort of) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Miracles happen (small miracle, sort of)

The only car I ever loved was my Tin Can. I put $5000 in two years into an eighteen year old Hyundai Excel GS hatchback that no one else ever liked. I mean, she was given to me for free! But that car meant the whole world to me, she was my everything. I used to spend hours and hours just sitting in her, just happy to be in my Tin Can. I replaced so many, many parts! The first time I replaced anything in her, everyone told me I needed to just junk her. She wasn't worth a $100 repair. After replacing the tires, windows, hatchback hydraulics, bearings, brakes, small hardware stuff, transmission, idle speed motor, and a bunch of other stuff...one day, I smelled gasoline and she stopped running while I was driving. Turns out the computer blew, stuck a valve open, flooded the motor and vacuum lines with gasoline, blew all the electrical stuff...she was dead. As a doornail. I sobbed like I've only sobbed one other time in my life, and that's when Baby Kitty was killed.

Two days ago my mom (in California) finally sold her for $50. Today, the new owner pulled back into the yard. The tin can was running perfectly, Mom said. He replaced the computer and the rest, I suppose, was exaggerated by the mechanic I took her to. She shouldn't have run without replacing at least $600 worth of stuff, the mechanic had said. For $350 she's mine again. A computer costs $1,000.

Of course, this means I have to replace the clutch now, and flyplate, and have the motor rebuilt. And another window's settings fixed. Oh, and some more wheel bearing thingies replaced. But that's just money. This is my Tin Can.

And so today, after my mom called me an hour ago, I sobbed like I've only sobbed two other times in my life. The car that was never supposed to move again is back in my life.

Miracle

edit: picture added

This is the wrong year, but it's a spitting image of the Tin Can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Premier Cat

Yippee, your beloved Tin Can lives again!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders
YAY!!!!!! CONGRATS!!! I too have a Hyundai Excel!! My baby! It's an 85. Mine's not a hatchback though. Though mine is dead at the moment I think it's the starter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticborders
YAY!!!!!! CONGRATS!!! I too have a Hyundai Excel!! My baby! It's an 85. Mine's not a hatchback though. Though mine is dead at the moment I think it's the starter.
CONGRATS!!!! Yay! A fellow Tin Canner! How many MPG does yours get? An 85...never seen one! How long have you had yours? How much abuse did yours take before needing repair? Mine hadn't even had an oil change in two years when she was given to me And she ran beautifully. She just hadn't had any care in sixteen years. Tell me all about your Excel I can talk for HOURS about mine, I'm sure if she's your baby, you must be able to, too! Tell me tell me tell me!

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
What a great surprise!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Cat Addict

What an oddly uplifting story! Congrats on getting your tin can back!

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Premier Cat

Congrats TrinityQuiet! Ahhh, I remember my first car! I called her Olive Oil. Two door, olive green color, though I can't remember the model.........she ran like a charm, and had only a few thousand miles on her. Bought her from a family friend who's mom drove her to church and back!

How exciting for you, it's always good to see someone so excited and happy!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Premier Cat

My car is 30yrs old and I love her to pieces! We've replaced just about everything, and by the time we finish replacing things it will be time to start again at the begining. Mine isn't tin though, she's plastic (fiberglass).

I'm glad your baby is back on the road. Nothing like having/driving your own dependable car.
h

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 02:40 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders
My grandma bought her new in 85. She's candy red. I got her a few years ago when my grandma passed away. Never needed any major repairs until my SI got ahold of her and forgot to put oil in and destroyed the engine

We got a "new" engine put in, with only 50,000 miles on it. Took her her for a test drive. And she hasn't worked since.

Here's a thread I posted about her a couple months ago
https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=46243

I'll try to get a pic for you!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 05:20 AM
Banned

A friend of mine had a Triumph Dolomite (the older Brits might remember what those looked like), that he loved to bits. Yeah it was a hunk of junk (similar to your "Tin Can"), but he wouldn't ever get rid of it. He must have spent at least 50 grand on it. He was very sad when it was involved in a big crash (not his fault), and it was beyond repair (the chassis had a 10 degree kink in it ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page