My one bad Craigslist experience - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

My one bad Craigslist experience

I had been wanting a countertop dishwasher for a long time now. My place doesn't have one. Heck, it doesn't even have a garbage disposal (or a bathtub!). I finally found one for a good price ($40) - they're about $200+ new. Went over to the guy's house and checked it out. It looked pretty new. He put it in my car for me. I got it in the house (eventually - it was almost 60 lbs.). Got it into the kitchen and it wouldn't fit on the side of the sink I wanted it to - the side with the outlet.

Well, that's okay, I moved it to the other side. It would still reach (barely). Started loading it up and discovered there was no silverware basket. Also, my plates wouldn't fit. It holds 9" dinner plates, mine are just a bit larger than that. Then, it wouldn't hook up to my sink. That just meant I had to go to Home Depot to get an attachment of some sort, this little house is so old....

By this time, I didn't even want the dang thing anymore! It took up the entire counter on the left side of my sink. I mean, I knew the dimension, but once it was actually there, it was HUGE! I took it off the counter and put it in my living room on the floor. Had to cover the hoses with a sheet so the girls wouldn't chew on them.

I ordered the silverware tray from Danby. The tray cost about $1.08, plus $7.00 for shipping. I figured if I was going to re-sell it, I was going to re-sell it whole.

Placed the ad on Craigslist for $75 (you have to let them bargain you down a bit, right? ), and got a response right away. But I didn't want someone I don't know coming to my house late at night, and I didn't hear back when I said they could come on Saturday afternoon.

Had a couple more inquiries, but no follow-up. Finally, an email from another man who wanted to pick it up Friday after work. I suggested Saturday. He called again Thursday afternoon and said he and his wife (and newborn baby) had a meeting downtown on Friday morning and could I bring it in my car and meet up with them. Other than the fact that I'd have to pick up that brick again and put it in my car, this was a good idea. So we met up, he liked it and started giving me the money. I said that I only needed $50. He looked at me and I said, "Hey, it's Craigslist, you're supposed to talk me down. I just wanted my money back."

So, not a great experience, but I feel like I helped someone out a bit.

Also makes me realize how lucky I was buying my computer with no demonstration.

I think I'll stick to cat trees.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 10:54 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I thought you needed an air conditioner. That could be your next adventure. I look on Craigslist every day for a VCR. They're usually too far away or part of a 9" TV.

And I'm looking for an adult collie. I'm really going through collie withdrawal.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I actually have an air conditioner, but it's the kind that you have to build into the window and it doesn't let fresh air come in, meaning once the heat wave passes, you're stuck with a window that lets no air in. This weekend was pretty warm, it's still in the 80's and it's almost 8 p.m., but it's bearable, nice breeze coming in all sides.

For the VCR, look on Overstock.com. That's where I got my paper shredder for about $20 off the price at places like Staples and Office Depot. $2.95 shipping on all items.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Premier Cat

I'll try that! Thanks.

Why not put fans in front of the other windows?

Jeanie

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I have fans. The bedroom is the coolest room. I'm pretty much going on line during commercials.

Here's a page of VCRs

http://www.overstock.com/search?keyword ... =HP_Header

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Premier Cat

Thanks, Marie!

Keep cool! We might have a record breaking low for this date. It's 37 degrees and falling. I hope the daffodils make it. They look so lovely, and there are many with buds.

Jeanie

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

We broke records for high temperatures. There really is no happy medium is there?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page