The Olympics - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

The Olympics

Here's a hot topic, huh?

Anyone looking forward to them?

I personally think it's disgusting what's happened to the torch carrying ceremonies across the world. Sports are sports and I think, as volatile as they are, politics could be left out for three weeks.

These athletes have trained most of their lives for a precious few minutes, or even seconds in some cases.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Cool Cat

Personally, I think many people are disgusted by what's going on in China regarding human rights abuses. Just my opinion.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I agree entirely, but the Olympics are just being HELD there. We have starving people on our own streets, people in prison who are innocent, and too many other problems to list here, but we've hosted the Olympics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkitty
Personally, I think many people are disgusted by what's going on in China regarding human rights abuses. Just my opinion.
i agree, but the Olympics is a international sporting event which - as Marie has pointed out - just happens to be in china this year. And in any case, as much as i agree with the right to (peaceful) protest, grappling with and hitting the torch bearers doesn't really put some of the protesters in a particularly good light.

I like the Olympics and will certainly be watching them. Naturally they wont be as good as Olympics 2012 but am certainly looking forward to it.

Its a sporting event, not a political one.

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I'm amazed at any athletic ability. I'm consider myself lucky to be able to walk in heels.

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by melysion
Its a sporting event, not a political one.
Agreed. And every country has its issues, though admittedly, some are more sensitive about them than others.

All the protests and such sure are making it more difficult for us expats over here, but we're still very excited. Hopefully I'll be there in August!

Robin and...
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Agreed....the Olympics are about the athletes, sportsmanship and team efforts. Using it as a platform for political issues is totally inappropriate. These kids just want to go out and do the best they can and hopefully earn a medal. Why tarnish it before they even have a chance to participate....

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Cat Addict

I agree with Marie, politics should be set aside, these athletes have been preparing all their life for a one or twice in their life time event, they deserve to be talked about!!

Maria
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I am looking forward to the Olympics, and I will watching as much as I can. There is no country without guilt. Carrying the Olympic torch is an honor of a lifetime, one to be remembered with joy.

Leave the politics to the politicians. We are, for a little while, united by these hard working athletes. Nothing should spoil this tradition...one of the few times we put differences aside and cheer on our talented young people.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Premier Cat

I can see why people want to use this event to bring up human rights issues in China, but this can be done without ruining the torch ceremonies or spoiling it for the athletes. IMO, these protestors' tactics are harming, rather than helping, their cause

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page