a pet rat found my grandma's house - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

a pet rat found my grandma's house

I just found this story a little funny, My grandma lives in a very woddsy area and there really arent a TON of houses arounf where she lives. Yet somehow a pet rat found her house. She almost put a rat trap out until she found out this rat isn't the normal pest, it is actually someones pet! It's a light brown and white spotted rat which is not a wild rat color at least not here. Has any one ever heard of this happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 06:50 PM

yeah, sadly people assume a rat is just a rat and thus when they get bored of it just let it go outside....

hes lucky to be alive
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Premier Cat

Is she keeping it?

Or the Humane Society will take pet rats to adopt out also.

He or she sounds very cute.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

As far as I know I believe she is going to put out a safe rat trap that won't hurt it. She was going to put out a regular one until she realized it was somebody's pet. Someone in the family will probably find a home for it. All the girls in my dad's family are so obsessed with animals(including me) that there's no way it would end up in another bad situation. My cousin Tina will probably take it, she likes rats. (I do too but I'm getting a bunny soon so I can't take a rat in). I just found the story a little cute. When my dad saw it he said it was running across the floor in the kitchen and stopped in front of him looked up sniffed a bit then turned around and ran off. lol.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Cool Cat

I'm not a rat expert (I know a lot of people who have them as pets, but not me... they sound like a lot of fun, but too short-lived for me) but if it goes to someone else in the family, be warned that the usual advice is that you should't just have ONE rat. They're apparently group animals and get lonely by themselves.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Premier Cat

I love rats. sigh. Want one. Dare not have one though.

I'd come home from work the first day and see a very fat Toby and a empty cage.

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

I used to have 4. They are VERY fun furry friends!! That's why I would take this one in. Some rats do do fine by themselves though. Some you can't even put in the cage with another rat or they will fight. But most like being with other rats. If you spend most of your time with them then it would be fine to only have one. But you have to spend A LOT of time with them.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

I've never had one as a pet, I just date them.

Oh, wait. So I guess I have....

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Banned

LOL!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 03:56 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jimmyness
It is a possibility that it is a wild rat with a genetic mutation that makes its colouring different to normal. So id be a little wary when you catch it, make sure you try any see how it reacts to people, its behavior etc. Wild rats are alot different to domestic rats, definately not pet material. Im sure it probably will turn out to be just a pet, but still, until you know for sure be careful not to get fingers too close to the cage!

Sincerely, Krystle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page