Some Nerve... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Some Nerve...

Ok, before I say my rant, I do not in any way intend to offend anyone that has kids (the human kind, not the fur kind).

Why, why, WHY do some mothers put themselves on such a pedestal above everyone else because they are a mother. That's great that they had a child and I'm happy for everyone that has one but don't tell me I'm "not an adult yet" or I don't know the "true meaning of life" because I don't have a baby. I do know the meaning of life and I am an adult...I'm 27 and live 425 miles away from my family and get along just fine, thank you! Ugh!

And then I read this person's quote on myspace today:

"The good mother, the wise mother... is more important to the community than even the ablest man; her career is more worthy of honor and is more useful to the community than the career of any man, no matter how successful. - Theodore Roosevelt"

Excuse me?! My career is just as important as anyone else's career! And to make things worse, this girl's best friend miscarried and is trying to get pregnant again and can't and has gone back to work and working her butt off at a crappy job and everytime she visits her friend's myspace page she gets to see this quote?!?! Way to rub it in someone's face!

Don't get me wrong, I do want kids but not for 2 more years at least. So, is it because I don't have them yet that I can't understand what makes some mothers feel like they are more important than the rest of us who don't have kids??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 06:47 PM

I know what you mean. I get the "well you're not a mom yet you won't get what I'm talking about" stare when I ask how my co-workers kids are or if I offer a suggestion to try and help them out. I'm 27, divorced and not ready to even start dating again so kids are definitly out of the question. Sometimes people only view women as child producers/mothers and not career women who will/want to have children later. Stupid society labels!
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

I feel your pain. Someone from work sent me a long glowing tribute to mothers which is fine, but I'm NOT one, and it made it sound like you don't know the meaning of life if you haven't borne a child.

I have just the opposite issue sometimes, too, if I may.....

I had one job where this guy just treated his son like crap and every day he would tell me, you are so lucky you never had kids, smartest thing you've ever done.

One day, I just lost it. I told him he doesn't know me well enough to say that to me. How does he know that I didn't HAVE a child and they died, or I wasn't able to have kids! He never said that to me again, but still complained about his son all the time.

I'm not technically past child-bearing years, but with my life the way it is, having a child would probably involve being guided by a huge star in the skies and waiting for three wise men in San Diego.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Cool Cat

Doncha love it? What really, REALLY ticks me off...most people I know with kids got them from unprotected...activities...and DID not plan on them, had to live off their parents to get by, and stayed on government aid to get by. But according to insurance and credit, I am LESS responsible than the girl I work with who's been knocked up twice, has no car, lives off her parents, and barely speaks to her husband, because...she has children and a husband, therefore she is more responsible. She's destroyed her vehicles, I've never had an accident or ticket. She's younger than me, didn't attend college, had drug problems. She pays HALF the insurance I do because she's a more responsible parent. I put myself through college, never smoked a cigarette, much less anything worse. Excuse me...what's wrong with this picture?

Yes, this whole parental god thing is a bit wrong...

post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Yup....my neighbor was complaining about her 16 year old a couple weeks ago and when I made some suggestions I was told that I know nothing about it because I never had kids. I wanted to respond that giving birth isn't synonymous with good parenting skills and that I couldn't possibly do any worse than she's doing. What I did say was that just because I don't have kids doesn't mean I'm stupid about how to raise them. And oh, by the way, the cops have been to their house twice since then because of stuff this kid is doing. Maybe he'll finally find out that there are consequences for his actions, something his parents have never taught him....

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 08:02 PM

LOL everyone is cracking me up!

I too have had the same issue for a long time now. When I was 21 I had a lady explain to me that she is a single mother, 20 years old with 4 kids and if I didn't start having kids now, when would I ever have them. She didn't think my reply of "when I am ready" was OK. I am now almost 30 and still can not stand to have people drive me nuts about not having kids. I for one would like to adopt when my husband and I are a little more settled and my business is more stable. If it never happens, then so be it. I am sure there are people out there that would love to let me borrow there kids for fun.

Even better my father feels like he wants grandchildren, because he loves hanging out with my 5 year old cousin and thinks the world of him. I keep telling him, that he should just adopt my cousin.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Cool Cat

2 of you (so far) have mentioned your friends talking about their kids, and then dismissing your suggestions when you offer them.

Might I suggest (and feel free to dismiss me ) that the next time they start talking about their problems with their kids, that you remind them that your opinion is of no value because you don't have any kids, so they could really stop blathering!
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

It was the first time she actually said that to me, we'll have to see if she does it again. On the other hand she doesn't hold back about telling people how to live their lives, so I feel free to tell her how to raise her kid whether she likes it or not...

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Some Nerve...

I agree with you Heather, there are women out there who think my life is incomplete because I don't have a baby of my own.
I have Lexi and I love her as if she was mine, women's goal in life isn't all about getting married and have kids!

Maria
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Tom Cat

Edited because after I re-read this post I didnt like what I wrote ..........

Life may not always be the party we thought it would be, but while we're here, we might as well dance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page