Well, today was not my day... *mild & amusing vent* (lon - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Well, today was not my day... *mild & amusing vent* (lon

It wasn't terrible, by any means, but it wasn't one of my better ones.

It all started last night with Hubby sneezing his head off and his nose running the 3min mile. He was very concerned he was coming down with a cold and went around the house with a tissue in one hand and a Clorox wipe in the other. He didn't want me to catch anything just before surgery. This morning he called from work and asked me to get him in at the Dr office, so I did. Turns out he has a sinus infection (nothing contagious, TG) and neeed me to pick up his Rx after a bit. I fixed him a sandwich and he went back to work.

I had 2 hours before Marmy's vet appointment and I decided to mow the front yard. Well, I happened to run over a small board beside the horse corral in the tall grass and got it jammed. I couldn't get it out by hand or whack it out with a hammer and I dreaded having to ask Hubby to fix it when he got home from work. It wouldn't start because it was jammed so I couldn't move it and had to leave it where it was. I called a neighbor who is handy with riding mowers and his wife said he wasn't home. This neighbor is retired, about 83 yrs old, but still fit and spry. Hubby did him a favor a few weekends ago, welding and repairing his tractor.

So...I decided to have a shower and go to town to buy some canned cat food to stock up for when Mom is here and pick up Hubby's Rx. As I was leaving, I saw the neighbor pull into his driveway so I stopped to talk with him and ask if he could help me with my mower. I told him I had a cat that needed to see the vet and I'd give him a call when I returned in the afternoon. He said that would be fine, he'd prefer it to be a bit more shady/cooler to fix the mower.

I did the shopping and returned to bundle up Marmy for his 2:30pm appt. I still had not eaten lunch, as that aggravates my symptoms, and I prefer to eat at home in case I have any 'problems', which are usually a certainty after I've eaten. The vet office was super-busy and by 3pm, we still hadn't been seen. I was getting very hungry and my symptoms began to act up so I went to the bathroom, leaving Marmy in the carrier in the waiting room. While I was indisposed in the restroom I heard two dogs barking and their owners talking to their dogs about 'the kitty'. I tried to finish up, but my body controls those situations no matter what I want to do. My anxiety over leaving Marm out there was making things worse for me.

When I was finally able to exit, I scooped Marmy's carrier up and set him on the bench seat next to me, away from the dogs who had been barking and sniffing vigorously at the carrier. Oh, I wanted to shoot dirty looks at the owners, but sufficed to comment (audibly) to Marm about how I was there now and I wouldn't let the dogs bother him any more. He was a love and rubbed his face on my fingers that I put through the door-grate.

The vet tech came out and sat next to me and apologized for the wait and told me the vet was dealing with a very sick dog and her worried owner, but they'd try to get Marmy seen soon. After another 15min, my body was giving me ominous signs of rebellion (my symptoms) and I decided I'd better get home. I told the vet tech I needed to leave and she set me & Marm up with an appt for next Tuesday morning. As I was putting him in the car, she ran out to me and asked if I wanted to leave him and pick him up later and I had to tell her I wouldn't be able to make it back before they closed, but I thanked her for offering.

Oh, it doesn't end there.

I get home with Marmalade to find the neighbor's car in my driveway, but no neighbor. I looked down at the mower and it didn't look changed. I called his home to see if he was there and his wife said he wasn't in the house. I told her I'd drive up and see if he was in his shop. I did, and everything was locked up tight. I stopped at the house to tell her he wasn't there. She told me his car sometimes gave him fits and wouldn't start, maybe someone took him to get gas or a jump start. I went back home and decided to walk down to the mower to make sure he wasn't laying on the other side of the mower in the tall grass where I couldn't see.
He wasn't there. (whew!)
I had noticed the other neighbor's garage door open so I called over there and he didn't answer his phone. So I walked over to find him talking with the other (83yo) neighbor. They had BOTH fixed my mower while I was at the vet with Marm. Yay! I didn't have to tell Hubby. I walked back down to the mower and it started right up and I drove it to my driveway and walked back over to thank them both. And offer bribes to not tell my Hubby about what I did to the mower. Again.
You see, this isn't the first time I've ran over something with it...

So, I finally had lunch just after 4pm. Hubby came home and was wiped out, so I ran him a shower, fed him and put him to bed. Then I layed down for a quick snooze, that turned into two hours. But I got up at 7:20pm and finished mowing that front yard!
What a day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Senior Cat

Sometimes it doesnt rain .. it pours

Im not sure what the story is with your coming op etc .. but ill be thinking of you

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

What a day!

Good thing Hubby doesn't read this Forum, huh?

You seem to have the worst luck with your own doctor's appointments going over and now your babies' appointments. Do they give you any kind of discount for having to come back?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Do they give you any kind of discount for having to come back?
Probably not. I understand the vet was trying valiantly to help another animal and its' owner. I've been in that (emergency-got-to-see-the-vet-right-now!) position myself with Reilly when he took his final, bad turn. I'm not going to begrudge the vet's care to another animal in need. Besides, it was only about an hour out of my day, just an inconvenience to me. The vet office is probably only 3.5mi from my home, and 2mi of that is hwy driving.
It was just a long-ish day for me, that didn't run very smoothly. Still, I do think I got a good bit done.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

That's true. I didn't think of that. I've left my kitties and gone back later because of an emergency, too.

Why don't you just skip the middle man and have your neighbors mow your lawn.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Why don't you just skip the middle man and have your neighbors mow your lawn.
Problem is that I LOVE to mow! It is sort of like vaccuming, only outside. I like riding the mower and seeing the neat rows of grass I've cut. It resembles the neat rows of vaccum wheel marks on my carpet when I vaccum.
I have never let Hubby mow. He just doesn't do it right. He says he won't do it while I'm laid up because he doesn't want to listen to me tell him how to do it. He said he'd hire a teenager and I could order them around!

Our other neighbor's mower has been broke for a year. Her dad has had it to fix, but just never got around to getting it done. She had a nice man come mow her grass for her but I noticed it was getting long, so I mowed it 2 weekends ago. She hadn't had anyone come mow it after that and I wanted to mow Thursday night, but didn't have time to do my big yard...so I did hers.
...and she came home when I was half done.
I stopped and chatted with her, found out about her mower, which her dad just finished fixing and he was going to bring it to her this weekend. We shared that we both love to mow...and she has offered to mow our front yard while I'm at the hospital and for the first few weeks, until my Mom thinks she can leave me alone in the house for an hour and she can do it.

I tell you, we really landed in a great place when we moved here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page