The Kentucky Derby - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
The Kentucky Derby

Today's the day for the first jewel in the Triple Crown! Don't forget to watch. I'm always hoping for a Triple Crown winner.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Cat Addict

Re: The Kentucky Derby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
Today's the day for the first jewel in the Triple Crown! Don't forget to watch. I'm always hoping for a Triple Crown winner.
We got a lot of rain last night and this morning, but reports from the track say that things are drying up nicely.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 06:30 PM

Well ****!

I was wanting Pyro to win, but figured it would be Big Brown or Colonel John. Wanted the filly to do well too. Poor girl.

I wish we could have a big day of rading without a **** horse dying!!!

Glad I had two glasses of wine before the race or I would be crying instead of urinated right now!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
My heart is breaking for Eight Bells. The odds were against a filly winning, but what a magnificent girl she was, coming in second to the winner, and then having to be put down.

I don't know what happened. I'm waiting to see how she she hurt her legs. Bless her; she had so much heart!

Big Brown ran a wonderful and exciting race, but my heroine today was Eight Bells.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Premier Cat

I missed the injury, thank goodness. Poor filly, fly free over the Bridge.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Premier Cat

I heard an announcer say she was fighting being pulled down (slowed) in the backstretch and just collapsed. An announcer commented it could have been a heart or anneurism problem. They interviewed a vet who was receiving info via walkie-talkie and he told that announcer Eight Bells had fractured both front ankles and was euth'd immediately to end her suffering, there would be no way to recover from a double fracture involving two legs, let alone front legs that carry the majority of a horse's weight.

Congrats to Big Brown, he deserves the accolades. My heart goes out to all involved with Eight Bells.

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Cat Addict

From the sound of it, Eight Belles injured herself in the strides after the wire, and once one ankle went, the other followed. Not the sort of injury a horse can recover from. Very tragic.

But Big Brown really dominated today. What a race that boy ran; nobody even challenged him. Gives a big NEENER NEENER to all those who ran their horses hard as two-year-olds, doing lots of prep work. Huge congratulations to him and his team! The Preakness should be exciting for him.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Senior Cat

i was so happy after Big Brown won, mostly because no one hurt themselves.. after they showed Eight Belles down, i was so devastated, poor young filly, hopefully she is galloping across the rainbow bridge <3

Lauren&

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Senior Cat

I didn't watch it as we don't have tv currently but I've heard about it from some news sites and other horse forums.

I feel awful for that poor filly and hope she's pain free now over the bridge.

I also feel very angry towards the racehorse industry. Does nobody see the trend in racing? The breakdowns are getting more and more common. Too young, too much stress, not enough bone, to much racing. They can't handle it, let them be babies and stop riding them and working them so hard as yearlings! Even if they broke them at two and then raced them at three would be better, not a whole lot better but at least then I strongly believe things like this would be less common. Also the breeding of TB's in recent years is horrible. Look at racers from 20 or 30 years ago, they had far more bone structure. It's sickening to see these tiny babies go like this. The line breeding is getting way out of hand in TB's. The poor girl just didn't have a chance with her breeding, horses that are known for having bad ankles are heavy in her pedigree.

Big Brown was also raced with quarter cracks. But hey winning is more important then keeping your horse from going lame or being put down. -sigh-

Big Brown I give you a pat on the back for your win. And I pray that the rest of this Triple Crown goes better.

ETA: The same anger goes towards all horse sports. They all start them too young and push them too hard all for money. It's a crying shame.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
ETA: The same anger goes towards all horse sports. They all start them too young and push them too hard all for money. It's a crying shame.
All horse sports?

Indeed.

Except... they don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page