Upcoming Surgery Update: - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Upcoming Surgery Update:

Spent most of today at Emory getting all the preliminaries done; consultation with the surgeon, pre-registration, pre-op and consultations/visits with the anesthesiologists, surgeon rep to be sure I knew what was going to happen, nurse for after-care and blood draws for blood work.
It looks like my hospital stay may be considerably longer than the 4-5 days I had thought. More like 7-10days, with 8-9 being about what we are shooting for. They will not discharge me until they know I have no fevers or infections brewing because the surgery is considered 'contaminable', I need to be able to eat semi-solid to solid foods and my small intestine working to move that food and I must be able to get up, walk around and be able to change my stoma bag efficiently myself.
Tonight was my last night of 'real' food so we ate at a steakhouse. Tomorrow starts a soft - liquid diet and Wed will be all clear liquids in prep for 11:30am Thursday. Surgery will take about 4-7hrs depending, though he is not expecting any surprises.
Have arrangements for the kitties while I'm at the hospital and Q is at a Paso-friend's house until I can resume her care myself. Marmy is seeing the vet tomorrow AM.
Nervous, but committed. It is a big change, and I'm not sure I'm mentally prepared for it, but my Husband and Mother are here and I'm sure I'll get through it just fine. Once it is done, I look forward to the positive changes it will make for my life.
heidi

ps...I am unsure how quickly I will be able to log back on myself with Hubby's laptop. I will try to do so quickly, or have Hubby or Mom post a quick update a few days into my recovery when they have come back to the house and can use my 'favorites' links.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Premier Cat

I think it's great that they are taking extra precautions to make your stay longer. It only means they care, and they want to be sure you are well enough to leave the hospital. Take it, and just concentrate on really getting better! I'm excited for you Heidi! I'm just glad to know that things are really going to start getting better for you once you get past these next few days.

We'll be here waiting for an update when you are able!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:37 PM

yay! youll do great Heidi!! im excited at the chance of a new start for you and being healthy!! god bless you, you will come through awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

I would stay in the hospital for as long as they want you to. That way, you're in the best hands if anything happens. You're so brave for going through with this and I'm sure everything will be for the best in the end. Your end. The end. oh, heck! Rainbows! Rainbows! Rainbows!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Cat Addict

I've sure been thinking about you Heidi. Just didn't know how to express my words. You are certainly in my prayers. I pray that God gives you the strength and courage to withstand the changes you're about to go through.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I don't make a very good patient. I hope my Mother and Husband still love me when it's over!
I know the kitties will, no worries there...

[thinks] Rainbows! Rainbows! Rainbows! [/thinks]

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 01:08 AM
Premier Cat

Words are insufficient, but...

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 01:34 AM
Premier Cat

Heidi, good luck with the surgery & do keep us updated when you are able. I'm sure you will be fine & wish you had the surgery sooner
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 06:02 AM
Premier Cat

Heidi, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care of yourself. Listen to your health care team. Don't worry about what kind of patient that you are- your hubby and Mom will still love you even if you get cranky.

When you go into surgery there will be good vibes coming from all around the world to help you.

Love and hugs!!!

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Premier Cat

I'm sure you are very nervous, but everything will work out fine. just don't try to do too much too soon and listen to the health professionals!

Toby and I will be thinking of you

[[[[hugs]]]]

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page