Got a horrible choice to make :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Got a horrible choice to make :(

One of my rabbits has a nasty abscess on the side of her nose. Of course I took her to the vet who said that abscesses in rabbits are gits to get rid of according to the vet. Itchy is 6 years old, coming on for 7. Basically she said with rabbits you can easy spend over £100 and still with an abscess get nowhere. She looked at her teeth and they are fine, but at a visual inspection she said that can't rule out a root problem. She said if it is a root problem, and the abscess is within the nose then there isn't much they can do.

I am going back tomorrow, she said there is another vet who was out on call who recently dealt with a rabbit abscess, and she isn't going to charge me for coming back which is pretty good. But basically from tomorrow I need to make the decision. She said antibiotics on there own isn't going to work, surgery has to be done to either open up the wound and I have to keep it clean, or they kinda try to dig it out but again if it is into the nose too much then it will basically have been for nothing. If it is her teeth causing the problem then there isn't much hope.

She is also blind in 1 eye and has a snotty nose from some kind of infection that just wouldn't clear up years ago.

If I tried to go for it after seeing the other vet I am going to be using my credit card, I don't have the money for this.

I could be putting her through an awful lot and it will not make any difference.

What do you guys think?

I might ask the vet tomorrow is she thinks Itchy is in any pain or discomfort. She is still eating and passing poops normally, the vet checked for that. She doesn't appear to be in pain- she isn't sat sulking or anything. I am wondering if it came down the pts road that I ask if we could push on until she looks like she is in pain or discomfort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 03:25 PM

If it were me, I'd do what is best for her. If a surgery will help her, I say go for it. If not, then maybe the best thing would be to let her go.

I'm sorry, I hope everything works out.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I always give my pets every chance, as long as they are enjoying life. I wait until the vet tells me it's time to let them go, or it becomes obvious to me.

It's terribly difficult, but you'll know when it's time, Z. I would wait. If you have a vet who really cares about animals, I doubt they will have you coming back again and again when there is no quality of life left.

I hope all goes well tomorrow.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Premier Cat

Paws crossed for little Itchy.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, poor Itchy. Hopefully the vets can tell you if she's in pain. But it doesn't appear she is if she has no symptoms of discomfort, still eating, still pooping right. I think if it gets bad, you'd notice.

Jeanie's philosophy is likeable, about giving pets a chance as long as they are enjoying life but unfortuantly not everyone can make their decision based on that. I know what you mean about not having the money for it. That makes decisions all the more difficult.

Hang in there Zal. Whatever decision you make, it'll be from your heart and it'll be the right one for you an for Itchy.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Senior Cat

I believe in quality of life .... if my pet is in pain then its time ...

Miki (my boxer) has severe hip dysplasia.... my vet wont operate , Miki is 8 and an operation isnt gaurenteed and will costa fortune .... at the moment meds are controlling the pain ... the second we see that the meds arent helping she will be PTS .

Its heartbreaking....but if money is a problem and the animal is suffering then its time to let her go ....

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
We can only do our best.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 12:13 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolsclan
I believe in quality of life .... if my pet is in pain then its time ...
That is exactly how I feel. I had a co-worker who had a dog with cancer. She made the dog hold on, and put it through so much, just because she couldn't let go. The dog was in pain, and the quality of life was just not good.

Use your best judgment......you will know, and the vet will help guide you also. I really hope all goes well for little Itchy!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks guys. I've been doing some research online and an abscess on the head isn't good.

Taken from Management of Abscesses of the Head in Rabbits
R.Avery Bennett, DVM, MS, Diplomate ACVS

Quote:
A variety of surgical therapies have been used in treating abscesses of the head in rabbits with variable results. In general, the prognosis for complete recovery without recurrence is guarded to poor. Client education prior to surgery is vital. Often, multiple surgical procedures are required because of the tendency to recur. Depending on the procedure used, postoperative care may involve intense nursing care and wound management. Frequent visits to the veterinarian and often a significant financial commitment are required as well.

I think if that is the case I am going down the pts road. My appointment is tonight at 6.30pm, its 8.20am here at the moment. It's gonna be a long day.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 06:11 AM
Premier Cat

I am so sorry you are facing this. I hope that when you go to your appt. tonight that the decision is clear for you.

(((BIG HUGS)))

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page