Tick Bites - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Tick Bites

I got bit by a tick I think. I told my brother that something small & black landed on my arm & bit me & he said it might of been a tick. I was doing something on my phone & felt something on my arm, kinda like a quick mild itch or sting & ignored it when I usually don't ignore stuff like that.

I look down like 4 seconds later & there is this little black thing on my arm! I flick it off & it didn't seem to shoo off so did it again. It didn't really itch or look like I got bit until the next day. I woke up to a reddish 1/4" round red spot. Now when I look closely at it, it's really gross. It looks like the skin has bumps within the red spots!

Anyone know for sure if it's a tick bite? I looked for pics online & they show the tick upclose & it doesn't give me the faraway pictures so I can know for sure. But the bites kinda do look similar.

Then mysteriously the next day a bump appeared on my pinky above my fingernail. This bump looks different & isn't red but the bump is high & hard. I believe it might of been a tick bit too but don't know for sure.

I can't imagine being bitten all over (Knock On Wood) or being an animal with ticks! Ouch!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 01:50 AM
Premier Cat

Arianwen had one on her face, and she said it was just an itch. The vet removed it, and showed me how. I'd hate to be a cat walking through tick-infested brush. Yuk!!
I've had ticks on me before. Those things are really gross.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 05:43 AM
Premier Cat

Kit,

Do you live in an area where Lyme's Disease is prevalent? Since you had the redness at the site of the tick bite I would suggest calling your doctor as you might need a course of antibiotics.

I hate ticks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 06:11 AM

Be careful, if it was a tick and you flicked it off and didn't get the head out it could be infected. Have a dr check it out to make sure. Most of the time you have to drown or pluck the tick out to make sure you get the head cause when you pull on it the body detaches itself so that the head may still live. I know gross but I've got tons of experience with them. I had the first case of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever in a child in GA when I was 8 years old.

**side note, did you know you can use maple syrup to make a tick back out of your skin? I recently found that out from the girlscouts email I get....would have been useful when I was little!!!**

Good luck and I hope that the redness goes away soon!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Banned

You can also use fire or alcohol.

Flicking it off isn't the best thing to do though, as already mentioned.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Cat

Yep, Lymes Disease is a possibility, albeit unlikely, but I would visit your doctor. Symptoms would not appear for a while.

Alex
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarbishop
I had the first case of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever in a child in GA when I was 8 years old.
My brother had rocky mountain spotted fever when he was 17, he was int he hospital for several days and we almost lost him. The skin from his fingernails halfway up his hand peeled back as a result, and his hands looked just awful for months after.

Tick bites can have pretty serious consequences. If you can, I'd have your doctor take a look at it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 10:33 AM

Definately, definately see your doc re Lyme's Disease. I hate ticks too.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
You are reading my mind. That was my first thought...Lyme's disease. Please see the doctor, Kim.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I really don't have time to go to a doctor. I leave early in the morning & get home late at night & am busy working all day temporarily for awhile. Plus this really doesn't seem urgent as the redness has faded.

Now that I think about it, I had a bite similar like this a few weeks ago on my neck & belly! I didn't even itch them & they still left a slight scar.

What exactly does Lymes Disease do to you? I've been reading various sources but would just like the general idea. I really hope I don't have it though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page