Why didn't anyone stop me? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Why didn't anyone stop me?

I should know better, but I haven't learned yet. I KNOW better than to go to the store so I can pick up a little trinket or two for a "thank you" gift bag for someone. I know what happens when I do that.

I went to get a bottle of nice lotion & a candle & a card for a girl who's always nice at work. She's quiet, so she's always overlooked--everyone else gets gifts all the time, invited out all the time, joked with all the time, etc. She gets ignored. But she's always soft spoken & sweet & a listener & inquisitive about how people are feeling. She's a single mom of a little girl; she's twentythree, I think. Her boyfriend was abusive & stalks her. Her little girl always seems to be sick...allergies, colds, infections, viruses, you name it. She works graveyard shift. So I figure my coworker doesn't have much time to be a woman for herself, and definitely doesn't have the money to do so.

Instead of a candle & a lotion, I found:

Twelve candles

Three bottles of scented lotions

One expensive skin care bottle of scented bubble bath

Two loofahs

One expensive REALLY good scented body wash

Three bottles of nice scented oils for burning

One oil burner (that's what the candles are for)

Aloe filled socks

A bag of Dove milk chocolates

A plain blue Kraft bag

Seven sheets of beautiful stickers to decorate said bag

A roll of ribbon for decorating

Multi-color tissue paper

Seriously. Will I ever learn? My five-dollar thank you became sixty bucks. And I can't wait to see what she does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
We didn't stop you because it was a lovely thing to do!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Tom Cat

What you've done is kind and lovely, but it is it a bit over the top for a friendly, token gift? You don't want to give something that makes the donee feel awkward or uncomfortable.

We don't see your relationship with this individual , so we can't tell you what is and isn't an appropriate gift. Why don't you give that some thought? Maybe you can keep two of the bottles of lotion, and give her just one. Same thing for the scented oil.

Just a suggestion...

Lori F. is owned by:
Sadie, the four-legged dog
Martin, the three-legged cat
Paul, the two-legged husband
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Cat Addict

TQ, I didn't know how to say this because I didn't want you to feel bad but I must admit that I totally agree with Lori (PrimoBabe) that that's a bit much for a gift for a coworker who isn't otherwise a close friend. I know it would make me feel extremely awkward to get that much from someone I just work with.

I agree with Lori that the gift would still be great if it were just toned down a bit.

The gesture was very nice of you, though. If more people were thoughtful like that, maybe there wouldn't be so much hurt in the world.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Premier Cat

I didn't try to stop you 'cause I think it's mean to try and stop an act of kindness.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Banned

Lovely lovely thing to do, but 60 bucks? That's a bit much IMO. For someone you don't know that well anyway.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

It's not as much as it sounds. The lotions are purse size. The candles are small for oil burning. Body wash & bubbles & chocolates are luxury items every girl I've known loves to give eachother. I'm guessing that if she only gets one oil scent, she'll never be willing to splurge to get a second one. We're always trading smelly goodies, anyway. The bosses put together little gift baggies for everyone at work, and throw parties all the time. Just as far as I know, this girl has never been a recipient.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Premier Cat

TQ, I think you are very special to do something so kind. I think you will make a bigger impact on this woman than you will ever know.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Why didn't anyone stop me?

Well if it makes you feel better I am addicted to TARGET, I always spend more (way more) than I should.
I think is called compulsive shopping

So can I get a candle??

Maria
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 11:09 AM

I think I'd agree with the others. It's a very nice gesture, but receiving that much may strain your relationship, esp if she is as quiet as you say. I would feel awkward receiving that much from a relative, let alone a boss, let alone a co-worker. Have you considered just asking her to go out to lunch with you instead? I don't want to say not to give all of the gifts to her, but not all at once, and certainly not out of the blue. If it were her birthday or Christmas, sure. But just to find that sitting at my desk one day ... wow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page