My big girl has me worried, any ideas? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

My big girl has me worried, any ideas?

Feedback needed I am so worried about Free. She is not acting like herself at all. He allergies are really bad. She was on benadry, a weekly medicated shampoo, and constant wipe downs.She had a cortisone shot. No noticible improvement. So not done again. We tried a to switch her to a one protein diet. She didn't like the vet food so we tried another, herring and sweet potato, after a few weeks she started showing the changes. Diarrhea, moping, energy level way down and not eating half the amount of what she should. We did a boiled chicken and rice diet for a week until she started eating again. Put her back on her regular food (the one before the vet food).Tried pumpkin, wouldn't touch it. Then cottage cheese, (but got a lot of bad feedback about it so stopped) to get the stool firm again. Her symptoms were the same. Finally after 2 weeks, took her into vet to get diarrhea meds and get a full blood panel done and stool check. Vet said she had a slight temp and gave us an antibiotic and anti-diarrhea meds for her and she had gained almost 6 pounds since January. This worries me because of the stools and lack of eating. The results for everything came back normal. A week later, she took the last of the meds yesterday. Stools have been irregular, one mushy next one fairly firm. Her activity level is still down. One time I was feeling her over for foxtails when we got back from the park and she cried when I ruffled her around the side of her chest area. Waited an hour and did the same thing but no responce that time. She sometimes walks funny, hard to describe almost like a limp then I don't see it again. Then today she wouldn't jump into the blazer to go to the park. Yet she does jump on and off the sofa.
I know something is the matter with her. Vet is no help, it is "allergies". It is something any ideas welcomed. I don't know what to do next. Do I put her back on a food test? Do I just start feeding her boiled chicken and rice? Chicken it the protien in her regular food that we were tring to find out if that was one of her allergic reactions.How long to I wait for her to have normal stools before I try this again? Do I keep her on the 6 benadryl a day, which I really don't notice helping just keeping the scratching and licking to a bit less. I am so sad too see her like this! I want my baby to be her old self and I am so confused!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I think its going to take a little more work to pinpoint her problem. It does sound like allergies could be a component, but at the moment not the big problem.

How old is she? What breed? How long has she been itchy? And was it just recently with the stool problems?

The first thing I would suggest to help settle her tummy up is lots of probiotics and digestive enzymes to give her a bit of a digestive boost. If the Benedryl aren't helping, I'd stop giving them for now. If the skin flares up even worse, at least you'll know they are helping a little... but if no change then there isn't much point in giving them.

Have you tried any other antihistamines? Hydroxyzine, chlorpheniramine? With no real improvement to a steroid injection I wonder if there's something else going on with the skin. Usually you'll see at least a bit of improvement with the steroids.

Were her stools normal for the first few weeks on the new food? Did they run a stool check before sending medication home? Was her thyroid checked in addition to the blood panel?

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 02:02 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
How old is she? What breed? How long has she been itchy? And was it just recently with the stool problems?
Yes, a little more background and detail would be helpful, sorry if I've missed it elsewhere.
Just a note though, if you think you may be dealing with allergies, I would not use a food with chicken or fish as they are high allergy triggers. I'd try a new protein source like venison, rabbit or duck. It takes at least 8 weeks on a food (with nothing else; no treats or snacks at all) before you may be able to tell if it's making a difference.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook
Quote:
She was a rescue, so not sure of the breed Shepard mix is my best guess. She is 4 and 95 lbs now. She has been itchy and chewing since we got her at 4 months. She was diagnosed with demodex and was treated with ivermectin for almost a year to get rid of them. We thought that was the cause. It was not as she still has those issues. Lately her allergies got real bad. So we wanted to do the food elimination to see if it was food issues. The diarrhea stared 3 weeks after she was on the new one protein food. She had a complete blood panel and stool test done. Rusults were in normal range. She only eats wet won't touch dry. Since we had her she has been a picky eater. We have tried every food there is. She eats it for a few days then goes on a hunger strike. Her present food she has been eating for about a year. It is chicken protein. We did not have allergy testing done just the blood panel. Any other questions please ask. I am going to go to another vet to see what thier opinion is also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page