You mean, pain is bad? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

You mean, pain is bad?

I had my wisdom teeth removed on Wednesday - three of them. One was fully in, one was half, the other was still under. The surgery went so well, and I had virtually no pain afterward. It was amazing.

When I woke up the next morning, my jaw was aching, and it did so whenever I woke from a nap, or if I talked too much. I figured it was normal, maybe stiffness or whatever.

This morning, it was awful. It was bad enough to wake me up, but I took some ibuprofen and got on with my life. Back out to the barn, rode my horse (for the first time in days!), all that good stuff. I got home and was still in plenty of pain; it was even starting to radiate into my ear. It's rotten.

And it finally occurred to me that this sort of pain shouldn't be happening, and shouldn't have been! I called my dentist tonight, and it looks like I have dry socket. The fact that I apparently haven't cared much about it is a testament either to my pain tolerance or to my stupidity.

Probably a bit of both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Cat Addict

Re: You mean, pain is bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphrodeia
I had my wisdom teeth removed on Wednesday - three of them. One was fully in, one was half, the other was still under. The surgery went so well, and I had virtually no pain afterward. It was amazing.

When I woke up the next morning, my jaw was aching, and it did so whenever I woke from a nap, or if I talked too much. I figured it was normal, maybe stiffness or whatever.

This morning, it was awful. It was bad enough to wake me up, but I took some ibuprofen and got on with my life. Back out to the barn, rode my horse (for the first time in days!), all that good stuff. I got home and was still in plenty of pain; it was even starting to radiate into my ear. It's rotten.

And it finally occurred to me that this sort of pain shouldn't be happening, and shouldn't have been! I called my dentist tonight, and it looks like I have dry socket. The fact that I apparently haven't cared much about it is a testament either to my pain tolerance or to my stupidity.

Probably a bit of both.
Do you have vicodine? You should take it before the gums wake up, otherwise the pain is unbearable, I had them removed 3 yeas ago, mine were all impacted, I had maxilofacial surgery, the Dr. cut my gums, extracted the long teeth, then stitch me up, I couldn't eat solid for a month.
I was on vicodin for the first week or so, the vicodin messed me up, so much that I had to crawl to bed, I am not used to pain killers, just an ibuprofen makes me sleepy
I am sorry you have a dry socket, did the dentist prescribe antibiotics?
Make sure you take your pain killers, and don't let it wake up again!!
Hugs for you, I hope you feel better soon!!

Maria
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Sounds like the same kind of surgery I had for two of them. I have sutures and all that good stuff. Have been very careful to avoid dry socket, have taken my antibiotics, have been rinsing. Diligent to the point of paranoia.

I do have Vicodin, but believe it or not, I haven't needed it. Not until tonight. I actually do really well with Vicodin - doesn't make me loopy unless I take a lot, doesn't really make me tired. Just makes the pain go away.

I was feeling so confident, darn it all! If I wake up tomorrow and am feeling much better, perhaps it was a fluke... but I don't think so.

WOE IS MEEEEEEE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Premier Cat

Poor thing, dry socket is so painful. Vicodin is your friend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders
((hugs))
I had dry socket once. Ugh, it was awful. I hope you feel better soon!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 02:02 AM
Cat Addict

Vicodin is your best friend, You should take it to avoid feeling the pain
Dry socket must be very painful
I hope you get to feel better soon.
Let us know how it goes!!

Maria
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Premier Cat

Having a high pain tolerance can be a curse. You ignore things that you shouldn't.

But vicodin can be your best bud during times like this.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 11:25 AM

When I had my wisdom teeth out, they were all beneath the gum, so all were cut out. I was super careful, but since I threw up (in response to the anesthesia), I apparently threw up my clots, unbeknownst to me. They had me on Tylenol with codeine, so I took that as needed, until I ran out. I still had a little pain, so I was taking one Advil and one Tylenol. Went back for my two week checkup, and the doctor took one look and said, you have dry socket in two of your spaces, your nerves are exposed, how have you been surviving? When I said on a Tylenol and Advil, he looked at me with amazement. Then I had to go back daily to have gauze soaked in clove oil packed into my sockets for a week. Everything tasted like clove, I still can't stand the taste. That was ten years ago.

If you do have dry socket, it won't go away on its own. They still pack your sockets, but I think they use a synthetic oil now, not clove.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Cat

Location: Ohio, USA, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way
Send a message via AIM to Duchess
I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time of it. I've had to care for two people who had their wisdom teeth out and had my own out back in February of this year.

The two people I had to care for had a terrible time of it. One had all 4 out at one time, 2 infected and 2 impacted; he doesn't even remember me taking him home. He remembers going under and then the next thing he knew, he woke up at home around 6 PM (he'd been sleeping heavily for about 5 hours, although I'd woken him up a few times to change the gauze and get him to take meds). He was in pretty severe pain for almost 3 weeks, but never had dry socket. He just had difficult extractions.

The other only had 2 out when I took care of her (she'd already had the other two out a few weeks earlier); she was aware after the surgery but very tired and loopy and she was pretty sore for about a week after, but she got dry socket in the bottom hole.

When I had mine out, I woke up from the anesthetic like it was a nap and was wide awake from then on, with no pain at all, even after the drugs wore off. I never had to take any of the drugs they gave me and was actually on solid food that evening. I went to work the next day and had no swelling or pain at all.

If you're still very swollen, try using some ice, but no longer than 20 minutes is what I was told (you want to numb the nerve, but not freeze it). I hope you feel better!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thank you all for the well-wishes! After spending a few days telling everyone I felt like 'a million bucks' and being generally unfazed by my pain, I felt like a big idiot yesterday having to call my dentist and ask for help. I hate feeling wimpy!

So I just got home from the dentist, where it took all of five minutes to sit in the chair, rinse, and get the area packed. That was perhaps the most excruciating experience of my life - which is saying something. Not sure what the oil is, but it's absolutely awful. Stopped for something to eat on the way home, just to try and lose this flavor. Ick!

I still have to say that this hasn't been the horrible experience I was expecting. I was assuming that it would be cripplingly painful, given the stories I'd heard, and that I'd be laid up for a week. So many tales of woe! I'm glad to have survived it. And I'm ELATED that it's over with!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page