Bad Experience - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Bad Experience

So on Sat, the 10th, I went with my next door neighbor to take her dog to go get spayed. So we got there and everything went well.Then when my neighbor called be to let me now whats going on, she told me that they found puss in the dog's uterus and that it looks like the dog was absorbing the pregnancy, then the medical center called my neighbor back to tell her that the dog needs to get blood work done, but my neighbor said she doesn't have the money, and they said that they already did, with out asking for permission. My gosh, that was a bad situation. So the bill would have costed 214.00, but she told them that they didn't ask permission and that she was not going to pay them and they said fine, so she only had to pay $120!!! They took advantage of my neighbor and it's illegal for not asking permission for anything.

The infection is not pyometra... it's Puppy Vaginitis... which is not a serious infection...and it's common in puppies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
My old vet did something similar...unnecessary testing. I raised the roof, and they found the original agreement, and charged me only for what I discussed. I will never go back. I probably should have reported it. It's unethical.

I think it best not to mention the specific vet clinic.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Banned

What I WOULD do is contact your state veterinary board with specific details about the visit, the examining doctors, and the techs/assistants. If this has happened to you, it has happened to many others and it needs to stop.

Sounds like this vet clinic is the Jiffy Lube of veterinarians...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Honestly, I don't think I'd make it so much of a big deal. Yes, they did it without permission but in the end didn't charge for it. But it really was something that was done in the dog's best interest... pyometras are very nasty and can turn into very serious conditions. I'm sure the vets were making sure there was nothing more serious going on. She may have been anemic (especially after the surgery) or had some problems with liver or kidney function. Bloodwork can also give a guess at how severe of an infection there was and how her body was responding.

Its hard to say exactly how the situation went. Certainly, if the dog was already in surgery its unlikely they would have stopped what they were doing in order to wait for permission from the owner.

It seems from the price that they not only didn't charge for bloodwork but severely discounted the rest of the surgery as well... they seemed to be trying pretty hard to make up for it.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
They took advantage of my neighbor and it's illegal for not asking permission for anything.
Was this an emergency situation? The dog's condition sounds very serious, and there might have been a chance of additional complications. Maybe the vet saved the dog's life, or at least saved her from pain and suffering, by acting so quickly.

Sometimes, it just isn't possible to discuss a procedure and get approval.

Lori F. is owned by:
Sadie, the four-legged dog
Martin, the three-legged cat
Paul, the two-legged husband
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 09:09 AM

If a person goes in for surgery, esp. if they have health insurance, things are done and you are charged and you accept the charges. I'm sure if while they were doing the spaying they found a tumor or something, they would have removed it also. And since she refused to pay for treatment she didn't approve and they complied, I don't think anything wrong was done. I'd just not go back to that vet again if it bothered you too much.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoBabe
Quote:
They took advantage of my neighbor and it's illegal for not asking permission for anything.
Was this an emergency situation? The dog's condition sounds very serious, and there might have been a chance of additional complications. Maybe the vet saved the dog's life, or at least saved her from pain and suffering, by acting so quickly.

Sometimes, it just isn't possible to discuss a procedure and get approval.
I agree. And if it was an emergency procedure IMHO it should have been paid for.

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGremlin
If a person goes in for surgery, esp. if they have health insurance, things are done and you are charged and you accept the charges. I'm sure if while they were doing the spaying they found a tumor or something, they would have removed it also. And since she refused to pay for treatment she didn't approve and they complied, I don't think anything wrong was done. I'd just not go back to that vet again if it bothered you too much.
I agree, I really don't think it's the big of a problem.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 12:20 AM
Premier Cat

It's upsetting how they did it without permission but it seems they did it with the intention of the health of the animal, not making a few extra dollars. Since they didn't charge for it, it was the right thing to do & hopefully it doesn't happen again. I personally don't see a need to report it unless they were being rude about it or were still billing you for it. Hope all is well now & the dog is ok
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

This is Jazzy...the one who went through all this...

This is Jazzy...the one who went through all of this...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page