Natural Disasters on the rise! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Natural Disasters on the rise!

With the recent cyclone, all the tornadoes, and now the earthquake in China....all this sad news just puts me down in the dumps. Imagine all the families that are displaced or have lost the ones they love...probably multiple ones at that. Just depresses me.

Guess all we can do is hope and send prayers/good thoughts their way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Premier Cat

I was going to post about all this also. I just hate to watch the news these days because it just doesn't seem to end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Banned

As a take-off on your topic, caption, Heather, natural disasters ARE on the rise, and I see two causes:

1) a more densely-populated earth

2) accelerating climate change

The contribution of the former is obvious, but some may not have considered the latter. All this talk about "global warming" is kind of a popular misnomer; what's actually happening is accelerated climate change. Climate is changing all the time, of course, but the changes occur over such a long period of time that they shouldn't be noticeable during the course of any one individual's lifetime. But now it's becoming clear that it's changing faster, and whether it's mankind-induced or not (which is not entirely clear), what isn't usually considered is than with weather, change is accompanied by volatility. Volatility means fluctuations, and fluctuations are what cause "weather" and more volatile weather means .... more tornados, hurricanes, cyclones, floods, droughts .... more extremes .... not just warmer weather.

There was a storm-chaser on one of the morning shows this morning who said that he's definitely seen an increase both in the number and the magnitude of tornado-producing weather. Now, I think that could be called an "expert opinion."

You might even have some basis on blaming the Chinese earthquake on climate change. The earth's magnetic pole is shifting. Now, that's something that also shifts over a long period of time, but lately it's been shifting faster. In the earth's history there have even been occasions when it flipped north to south. Here's the relevant part: the molten material the tectonic plates ride on and down into the earth's core have a high concentration of iron. A shifting magnetic field is going to affect that, with the result of .... earthquakes!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
It's very upsetting. We can pray for those effected, and we can stop denying that we have upset and are continuing to upset the environment. We can't go backwards, but we can stop destroying the earth...if we can convince those who think we can continue as we have been.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 11:54 PM
Cool Cat

~hugs for everyone~

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Banned

I too was going to post about this, but in a different way. It's been a terrible month for a awful number of people. One thing that I was really pleased about was China's response to their disaster. Burma, on the other hand is run by a bunch of gutless fools, and they should be forced to take in aid.

Actually China put one particular western country to real shame in the way it handled the earthquake aftermath.

I do sometimes wonder what the **** God thinks he's doing here. He seems to have put humans on this earth to screw it up and get killed by eachother, and the landscape. My faith is shaky at the best of times, but when crap like this happens, it's pretty non existent.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Premier Cat

Does anyone know how close Robin was to the earthquake? Has she been on since it happened?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leazie
Does anyone know how close Robin was to the earthquake? Has she been on since it happened?
She has already posted on here today Leazie

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Premier Cat

Whew, thanks Allie.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Natural Disasters on the rise!

Global warming right there!!

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page