Anyone use Avast? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Anyone use Avast?

Have any of you had the problem of Avast using all your space up?
Able to fix it?
Any other antivirus you recommend instead.
It's really T'ing me off.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 03:24 AM

actually just the opposite. avast is supposed to use less memory than most antiviruses. albiet some people with slower computers tend to notice a short lag for a few seconds as the update pops up.

Avast is known as the geek's secret. its what most tech companies use on their computers privatly to keep them safe and then install McAfee or Norton on yours to keep you coming back for repairs. since i had a friend of mine who runs a computer store finally tip me off to it after he felt bad me bringing in my completly shot computer. I have never had issues since.

alot of people recognise it as being the safest form of antivirus out, as it quietly runs in the background constantly, scanning every bit and byte that goes in and goes out the computer for viruses, instead of like McAfee or Norton that do a big scan once a week or every few days that slows your computer way down. it has intrusion alerts, it sets off an alarm when an unauthorized program or person enters your computer without your permission and it picks up on trojans/spyware/adware the second you enter an infected site, neutralizing it and still letting you still browse at your leisure.

it is also one of the few antiviruses that will still run alongside another antivirus (though they suggest you uninstall the others as it will exceedingly slow the computer down) but alot of people with highly protectable material will often run 2 antiviruses and the typical norton and mcafee dont allow this.

as a standalone program it does all the work of Norton, Mcafee and the (horrible) AVG (which takes over crutial DLL's and shares them with their original programs and when it slows down your computer and you remove it, it takes the drivers with them, some people have never been able to boot their computer without reinstalling windows after) but it does Avast does all the work of Mcafee and Nortons expensive antivirus, and their anti spyware and adware and PCcillin (repair) programs....but more importantly it does it while your comletly unaware and quietly in your backhround so it never interupts your computer pleasure. (you can still look at the reports if you want to watch what its doing)

So my only thought as to why your computer may be slower is either the original antivirus was never uninstalled properly, a virus repair or adware/spyware software was installed as well or someone downloaded a program or game from online and approved it, letting it in. plus unsafe DL programs like Limewire or Napster that are allowed into your computer can let viruses in past the Avast security because you have approved the program itself (should regularly do a forced scan of the shared folders after downloads to double check for viruses)

but i have personally never experienced any ram loss, loss of space or lag from Avast, nor have any of my family or friends
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Premier Cat

I might try Avast. I see they have a Macintosh version available.

I've been wary of McAfee and Norton because of the many horror stories of folks' experiences with them.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Cool Cat

I use Avast and have never had any problems with it once I turned off the voice alerting me every time it updated the virus database!

I only wish I could find a firewall I liked as much...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Cat Addict

I have it and love it. My computer runs great!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Anyone use Avast?

Avast is a pretty good antivirus for low resource computers, I have a brand new laptop and I am using AVG, works great!!

Maria
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Victoria, have you looked to see if Norton or any of the others has also been installed?

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Hm, this is all very interesting!
Well, I used to have McAfee but I uninstalled it. I'm wondering now if something is still hiding out somewhere and causing problems.
More snooping to be done...

Victoria
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Cool Cat

No, it causes memory problems for me, too. At any give them it's running a bunch of processes & I can't run any other large programs with it, like games, because it slows down an otherwise perfect game too much. The little swirling ball also negatively effects anything I'm doing--it shines right through any games I open.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinityQuiet
No, it causes memory problems for me, too. At any give them it's running a bunch of processes & I can't run any other large programs with it, like games, because it slows down an otherwise perfect game too much. The little swirling ball also negatively effects anything I'm doing--it shines right through any games I open.
this sounds more like aging ram (if youre hard on your computer your ram cards can age down to only being able to use half its described ram). I run 2 account of world of warcraft at once, each which are more than 10gigs installed and require more than 1gig of ram...having double of these programs, and usually music in the background....running around with 5000 other people in a big main city doesnt even cause my computer to slow abit as it updates or scans while i also have all this running.

some programs arent as good installed in an aging computer that has had lots of programs installed and removed and certain crutial DLL's go with those programs...so the computer tends to wear down fast. there are variables to everything you do with a computer kind of like you do with yourself. something that may agree with you and make you strong as a newborn or child may have an adverse affect if you introduce it later in life (depending on what you have put in or done with your body/computer in yours/its lifetime before introduction)

im starting to realise that in life itself...so many variable can cause something to go in so many directions, doesnt mean the object is offensive, it just not agreeing with something its corresponding with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page