Smart Car - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Smart Car

What do you guys think about this Smart Car For Two? I think my bf wants me to trade in my car for this one since I need a newer car plus this one would save me so much money on gas. This car is not my style at all but I'm jobless right now so looking to save money somewhere. Plus I might grow to like it lol.

I currently have a 2003 Acura TL & it seems like it's just getting old & it seems like it's a gas guzzler lately. I seem to be pumping over $40 every few days! Plus it just doesn't drive like it used to & I already replaced the transmission. Seat heaters don't work anymore either.

My bf did test drive it today at the dealership for me & said he thinks I would like it. It's pretty roomy, even for him & he's a big guy. Plus he said it goes pretty fast & smoothly at that. There is a waitlist but it's possible the salesman can find me one if I really choose to get one.

I'd love to hear your opinions

Smartcar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:40 PM
Banned

My opinion? I think they're pretty ugly. Buuuuuuuttttt...... the price of gas isn't going to be going back down to $1.50 a gallon soon. More likely never again. So I think it's commendable to be looking at fuel-efficient transportation. My own choice would be an SUV hybrid, but there's only one so far, and it doesn't have enough cargo space.

I'm puzzled why your 2003 Acura is in such rough shape already. I thought that was a quality car? And it's only five years old?

That bit about "it's on a waitlist but if you really want one I think I can get you one" sounds an awful lot to me like a sales tactic to get you to pay more.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

There was a program on t.v. last night that showed how BAD they do in a crash test. So as long as you're not playing bumper cars....

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 02:28 AM

if your going to be spending that kind of money on a smart car, might i recommend a Prius instead? i was a little iffy with all the celebrities owning them and whatnot that it was just a trend but my uncle bought a 2007 prius still under a 3 year warranty at a discounted price from a dealership and its amazing. battery driven on the highway, downhills and when it reverses...and when it is using its engine something like 65miles per gallon
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Cat Addict

I have been in love with the fortwo since I first saw pictures of one five years ago. I've been following its release and have been anxiously awaiting its arrival in America. I almost died the other day when I saw one here in Columbus!

They're all over the place in Austria and Germany - I think I almost got schmucked by one as I was trying to scamper across the street to a little cafe in Graz - and they really won me over. 'Course, they look normal when they're surrounded by wee cars. They stick out a little over here. But I still dig 'em bigtime.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Tim, I'm not sure why my Acura is acting so old but maybe it has to do with driving it **** of alot over the years.

I keep reading on the Yahoo homepage they have good safety & crash tests done on this car. I'm really looking at staying under $15K so pricewise this car seems good.

I guess I have to test drive it first. I'll let you guys know later this month if I'm going to get it. Thanks!
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Senior Cat

Eek I know I'm late with this topic but heres my 2 cents.

Is it wallet friendly from what I heard yes and no. It's better then driving around some pickup truck on your wallet but for a car it's size it's kinda bad.

I've driven in one once as my mother's car (she drives a demo for work, she works at a car dealership) was out on a test drive and so they offered her a smart car they had on the lot to drive home for lunch. It wasn't a very smooth car to ride in IMHO, didn't like the layout inside at all nor being so small and just didn't have enough space if I was to have the OH, the dog, and two cat carriers in the car let alone should we have baggage as well.

My mother has also told me that insurance companies are going to raise the rates for these things like theres no tomorrow and some already have. I've heard one or two people complain while at her work about the insurance on them.

Also, one of those vs. a semi on the highway? Wouldn't stand a chance, I'd never drive one on a highway going 100-110. I've watched people do it and think they are insane for doing so, way too small and I've seen more then one semi almost come over on one only to have to swerve back which is a whole other problem.

ETA: Also from looking up some other smaller cars as the OH wants to get rid of his 200 Echo and he himself has considered the Smartcar I've found some other choices. He's very moneywise/frugel(sp?) These are some of the cars he's looked at and so far is really liking the Yaris. I believe I've gotten the correct US prices as I used gallons instead of liters.

Honda Civic
MSRP: $15,010 - $22,660
MPG: 26 - 34

Honda Civic Hybrid
MSRP: $22,600 - $24, 350
MPG: 40 - 45

Honda Fit
MSRP: $13,950 - $15, 270
MPG: 27 - 34

Volkswagen Rabbit
MSRP: $15,600 - $18,650
MPG: 22 - 29

Mini Cooper
MSRP: $18,050 - $21,200
MPG: 32 - 40

Volkswagen Jetta
MSRP: $16,990 - $22,900
MPG: 21 - 29

Smart fortwo
MSRP: $11,590 - $13,590
MPG: 33 - 41

Toyota Yaris
MSRP: $11,350 - $14,450
MPG: 29 - 36

Toyota Prius
MSRP: $21,100 - $23,370
MPG: 45 - 48

Chevy Aveo
MSRP: $10,235 - $13,920
MPG: 24 - 34
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Premier Cat

They are pretty common here too, usually see at least 2 a day.

imo the best bit about them would be the ease of parking

I've decided if we ever had to have 2 cars I would have one of these as my second car.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac*
Also, one of those vs. a semi on the highway? Wouldn't stand a chance,
Well, yes, but there isn't a passenger car built that stands a chance in that scenario. Quite frankly, I think I'd prefer driving something I'd be killed in a semi-car crash than in a "safer" car where I'd just be maimed and disabled for life. Might be a semi-facetious remark, but points out that I don't think for me that would be high on my list of deciding factors.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Despite my post about safety, I prefer small cars. I drove an MR-2 for 14 years - my all-time favorite car. I used to joke that if I ever got hit by a semi, I'd be gone, but I'd look good going out.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page