Fish tank update... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Fish tank update...

Well, it's been 2 weeks now since we got 2 goldfish and 2 weeks tomorrow since we've had the 10-gallon tank, which spun into 3 danios, 3 platys and another 5-gallon tank to put the goldfish by themselves.

I totally fell in love with the platys but the danios aren't that exciting to me. I gave them to a friend of mine who has a turtle. She said if they're small enough he'll probably eat them. Funny part is, though, she's had them for a week now and the turtle can't catch them 'cuz they're so fast!

After giving the danios away I got myself another platy and a cory. Well, I finally understand better now the process of letting the tank cycle because the girl who sold me the cory didn't know that my tank was only a little over a week old at the time, so the owner of the store took him back. I'll get a cory again when the tank is ready.

In the meantime I began to notice that the red platy I had (male) was being agressive and picking on one of the other platys all the time. I talked to the pet store about it and she asked if I had another tank I could put him in. I have the goldfish but I since I can't put a heater in there with them, which the platy needs, she let me exchange that platy for a female.

So, now I have 4 platys in the tank (1 male, 3 females) and everyone is getting along well. There doesn't seem to be near as much tension in the tank as there used to be. I really miss looking at the red platy (he was so beautiful) and the pet store didn't have any more reds to exchange him with today so the other one I have now is a rainbow platy.

I'm sooooo anxious for the tank to be cycling so I can get that cory back again. In the few days I had him I'd really grown attached to his personality. His little face was so cute! I thought he kind of looked like a tiny mouse in the face. If I remember correctly, he was called a peppered corydora.

The lady at the store told me that it's really gonna be fun once the platys start having babies. I then explained that since I'm so new to this I don't know if I want to even attempt that and she explained it some more. I then told her I don't have room for another big tank and she said "That's okay. Give us a call. We'll take 'em." That would probably work for me!

This new pet store that I started going to is so much better than the first. I'm glad I found them.

My B-day is coming up in a few months and I told my husband tonight that I'd get a kick out of a 20-gallon tank for the occasion. I don't think he realized I'm serious, but I would love to have room for more platys. They are so beautiful and thus far easy to care for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:36 PM
Kitten

Welcome to the wonder hobby (soon to be addiction) of fishkeeping. You already have one symptom of the addiction; the urge to have MTS. That's "Multiple Tank Syndrome" for those who are uninitiated. Don't fight the urge; let it take over. Don't let your spouse stifle your new passion; nip his resistance in the bud.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders
Oh I love corys!!!! And loaches!!!! Loaches are wonderful!! I have a 55 gallon and a 40 gallon, all with showbred guppies.
I love guppies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Kitten

While I can appreciate the beauty of some loaches, my taste in bottom feeders would tend to span the Synodontis genus of African catfishes. The star attraction in my setups are Tropheus Duboisi "Karilani" and Tropheus Moorii "Nkonde ~ Orange Sunspot". I also have some Cyprichromis Leptosoma "Utinta" but they're not one of my stars.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:15 AM
Senior Cat

Ooo, the Karilani must be gorgeous!

I love loaches, dunno why, lol. Clown loaches and Khuli loaches
Oh, and guppies!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Senior Cat

Oh I forgot weather loaches! and skunk loaches!

Jo, you need to get some loaches when you get your tank fully cycled!

www.loaches.com
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:21 AM
Kitten

chaoticborders: You don't think a 10-gallon would be a bit small for Skunk Botias? They grow to about 4" and can be fairly nippy compared to some other loaches.

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/ya ... ia-morleti
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:25 AM
Senior Cat

I was actually thinking about a couple of khuli's. I've had them in 10 gallons before and they did just fine.

I was just reffering to my favorite loaches, lol.

Could you imagine a clowny (9 inches at least) in a 10 gallon? eek, no. Sorry if i sounded confusing, i get a little impassioned when it comes to loaches and guppies. I should have been more specific when I said she should get some loaches.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Kitten

chaoticborders: I can thankfully only imagine it; I've not had to see it with my own eyes. I was once of the opinion that a "Clown Loach" could have a "forever home" in say, a 75-gallon, 48 × 18 footprint, but after seeing some monsters online, I am now of the opinion that 72" × 24" footprint would be the minimum to keep this species in long term, and even then that's on the smaller side.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I'm so glad your aquarium hobby is doing so well. It's a great hobby! And it's even better when the babies are born. You can be sure your platies are pregnant. You just need a little breeder box for inside the aquarium, and when the gravid spot gets dark, put mother platy inside the breeder box and watch the babies being born! Yep, you're hooked! But I think it's a great hobby. I enjoyed my corydoras also.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page