Allergies - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Allergies

Anyone take anything for their allergies? Mine are HORRIBLE all of a sudden. I bought some generic form of Claritin tonight. It says to not take more than one in 24 hours so I won't start taking it until tomorrow morning (that's when they are worse). Just wondering if it makes you loopy or if it actually helps...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Cool Cat

I take Claritin D at night (if I need it) and I sleep soundly (which is unusual for me) and am fine all the next day. It does help, though sometimes I get a *little* loopy. Since my brain shuts off on bad allergy days, I kind of consider loopy an improvement over brain-dead.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Cool Cat

Right now is a horrible time for me - the trees and grasses are both producing pollen. And I still haven't figured out why God made cottonwood trees.
I have 27 different things that I have tested positive for - so it is usually year round for me. I have tried all of the meds out there at some point. Allergy shots don't touch my sinus issues.
Right now the doctor has me on antibiotics, prednisone (last day ),
Tussinex for sleep , sudafed and musinex to replace the prescription version, nasal sprays and my asthma meds. They take up half of the mantle.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 4
Right now the doctor has me on antibiotics, prednisone (last day ),
Tussinex for sleep , sudafed and musinex to replace the prescription version, nasal sprays and my asthma meds. They take up half of the mantle.
Mucinex rocks my world on super-bad allergy days. Ya rly.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Cat Addict

oh allergies...*sigh* I never used to have them until a few years ago, now they're year round, especially seeing as I'm allergic to all that can cause hay fever, and cats.

I was taking loratatine just about every day for quite a while, but its not nearly as effective as the generic Zyrtec I just recently switched to. Their patent must have run out recently, as I just noticed the generic form of Zyrtec has appeared on the shelves. For me, it runs about $5-$7 for 45 pills of the Top Care brand, a little more expensive than generic claritin which I can get for $3 for 60 pills. I also have prescription Advair for my allergy induced asthma (which seriously works like a DREAM!)
I will also take Diphenhydramine (benadryl, also the active ingredient in many sleeping pills) at night when my allergies are bad and to help me sleep.

The Claritin and Zyrtec don't usually make me loopy or spacey (or maybe I've been taking them long enough that its now just normal for me, lol)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 03:06 AM
Premier Cat

I'm sneezing like crazy at the moment. Tobys shedding his winter coat and don't I know it.

Darn cat allergies!

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks for the advice everyone! I went and bought loratadine at the store and plan to take my first one when I get to work this morning.

Mely, I hear ya about those fur coats being shed! I keep finding clumps of fur in my house, you'd think there was a cat fight or something!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 12:06 PM

I was just thinking about posting somthing on this as I've just sneezed 16 times in a row. I look like I have pink eye and I'm crying. Lol. I think I'm going to get started on the Zyrtec....
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Tom Cat

Suggestion -- and I know a couple of people have said this ... take it at night before bed. That way, you won't get drowsy from the effect of the antihistamine. It takes about a week to become fully effective, but it does work. I've taken Clarinex & Singulair for about five years now and they both work like a charm.

good luck!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Cool Cat

You could also try a Neti Pot.

If you're squeamish, don't click.

http://www.sattvahealing.com/netti-pot.shtml

I use one on occasion, and find it very helpful with head congestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page