dangers of artificial sweeteners - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

dangers of artificial sweeteners

Dangit anyway! For years I deliberately avoided diet pop ("soda" for just about anyone not living in North Dakota! ) because of the dangers caused by the various artificial sweeteners (NutraSweet, Equal, etc.).

Then came Splenda! I read a little bit about it being a derivative of sugar, therefore, tasting more like real sugar, so I decided to try it in my coffee. I loved it! I've since been putting Splenda in my coffee for about a year now.

I just stumbled onto an article talking about artificial sweeteners, INCLUDING Splenda, and all the dangers that go along with them. I don't understand the science behind it but basically, because of chemically altering sugar to come up with the product known as Splenda, it produces byproducts that have been shown to cause neurological damage in constant dosage (from what I could find, no specific dosage was mentioned). There was a whole slew of problems listed and I was shocked!

I may be jumping the gun but looking back on the past year I wonder if some of my emotional issues as well as a couple of physical complications can be traced back to Splenda.

What the heck are people supposed to do these days? It seems like the only good thing to put in your mouth is water, and that's even questionable depending on where you live!

From here on out I'm going back to plain ol' sugar in my coffee and back to regular Mt. Dew instead of Diet.

Well, now that I've gotten that little rant off my chest I must get going. Thanks for listening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I like Equal, but it gave me stomach pain, so I use sugar.

Artificial sweeteners are poisonous to dogs, I discovered. My son's dog got into his wife's gum, and we had to give her peroxide and call the vet. She had called me, and I checked it on Google. Since the dog threw up well, the vet said she didn't have to come in.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Cat Addict

You're right, a lot of the replacements for good old fashioned real food are pretty bad for you. The only advantage is for the manufacturers and distributors, who save money with adulterated ingredients with enhanced shelf lives. Sugar substitutes, hydrogenated oils, corn syrup, preservatives, texture enhancers, stabilizers, colorants, by-products...!

It's a pretty ironic lesson, isn't it - our great grandparents, grandparents and parents mostly ate real food, locally made and were healthier because of it. It's really best to aim for real sugar, butter, unbleached flour, etc. etc. in moderation...

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
have you ever tried Stevia? its an herbal type of sweetener that's super sweet and only used in small amounts. Something about the FDA doesn't let it sell as a sweetener so you can find it in the supplement section of natural food stores (I got mine at Whole Foods).

It doesn't replace sugar like Splenda, but can be used to sweeten drinks. I've only used it to make iced tea but liked it a lot. It really is super sweet though... and it may have been the type of tea I used but it took a second to kick in. The tea would be a little bitter at the beginning of each sip then get really sweet, but didn't have that super sugar syrupy taste to it.

Something worth looking into?

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Cat Addict

Re: dangers of artificial sweeteners

Aspartame is what's bad for you. Unfortunately Splenda has it too, and I do happen to love it too, sorry girl we are out of luck!

Maria
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Seriously, with the amount of diet sodas as I have had to drink over the past many, many years, if there was anything seriously dangerous in the artificial sweeteners, I'd be dead by now.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Seriously, with the amount of diet sodas as I have had to drink over the past many, many years, if there was anything seriously dangerous in the artificial sweeteners, I'd be dead by now.
Bingo!!! When it comes to what is good for you and what is not good for you, I have no faith whatsoever in these studies with sweeteners or most any other foods!!

For those in the USA, go to the store and look at the box of Sweet and Lo. That is saccharin in the USA. Now waitaminit class, didn't saccharin have a warning label about the dangers of it? Now guess what? That label is GONE! Why is that? Because the rocket scientists that conducted the research on the rats injected them with so much saccharin that it would be the equivalent of you or I drinking...are you ready for this...ONE HUNDRED CANS of soda every day for the next several years!!! Can you say Skewed Results??? The results of that testing had more garbage in it than a landfill! So if it was proven that the research for for saccharin was flawed, how can I fully trust any studies on sucralose???

Saccharin was NOT the only sweetener vilified by lab rats. What about cyclamate? Wasn't that considered a no-no? Yet...if ingesting cyclamate is certain death, then WHY do many other countries, including Canada, still approve it? I do not see scores of deaths from cyclamate originating from north of the 49th. Something is just not right with those studies.

Now of course people are different. People can have bad reactions to ANYTHING. So due to our body chemistries being different from one person to the next, I could consume a ½cup of sucralose every day for the rest of my life with no health complications. Yet my friend next to me can sniff it and get ill. That is how we are. I can eat peanut butter all day but the next door neighbor could have a peanut allergy and develop a severe reaction from tasting less than one millilitre of peanut butter. Does that mean peanut butter is dangerous?

It all boils down to do YOU have your own issues with it? If so, then common sense tells you not to drink the stuff. And to be honest Jo, Splenda may have absolutely nothing to do with your aforementioned condition. We really just do not have the information to make that call...

All this garbage about artificial sweeteners being bad, good, back to bad, then finally good reminds me about what some scientists said about eggs a some years back. Oh they were sooooo bad for you. The cholesterol would make your arteries harder than tank armor. Now eggs are considered one of nature's most perfect foods. Tell me, just WHAT the heck gives here???
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:10 PM
Cat Addict

Moderation is really the key! If you had a ton of broccoli You'd get sick too, so there!!

Maria
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertweeky
Moderation is really the key! If you had a ton of broccoli You'd get sick too, so there!!
Exactly my point! Heck Maria, people can even get sick from consuming too much water!!!

Too bad those crackpots doing the research did not use moderation and adjust their injections to better simulate the amount of saccharing a human would consume.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:44 PM
Cat Addict

Thank you!! I did a drink a lot of water diet for a while and almost got water intoxication, my Dr. was very pissed!!

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page