Staples are out! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Staples are out!

...and the verdict is in: Crohn's Disease.

Dr. removed about 7" of the left side of my descending colon. He found some other 'indicators' that pointed towards this disease, but nothing requiring surgical intervention at this time. Just the one large, ulcerated spot.

I'm not sure what that means for further treatment. I just did a quick read on C'sD and find the treatment options are basically the same as I was taking for UC. For which I had no positive results. Hopefully the surgery has removed the 'problem spot' and I won't have any other flares or will be able to get future flares under control before they get out-of-hand.

Still, I feel remarkably well. Belly is still tender, but abdominal muscles are getting stronger every day and I am able to eat more and more.
We stopped and visited Q on the way home from the Dr office today. She pricked her ears right up when I called her name and I fed her a few of Hubby's french fries.

The drive home from the hospital the other day was an ordeal. Hubby, trying to get me home 'quickly' was on-the-gas, on-the-brake and lane changing. I finally lost it and told him I needed him to remain a smooth speed and keep forward/backward and side/side motion to a minimum. Every time I had to tense my abdomen for a sway of the car, my head falling back from acceleration or trying to step on the brake on my side of the car, it caused my abdomen to tense up and I was going to be very, very sore when I got home.
Luckily, he listened and started driving better, but I thought I was going to have to 'brain' him for a moment there. Or maybe I just wanted to 'brain' him?
h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Premier Cat

I'm glad you are feeling better and that you are home once again.

I hope the surgery had done the trick.

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Premier Cat

My friend has Chron's and finds that if he maintains a gluten free diet it helps control his flares. I'm not sure if that is something you were following before.

You can find all sorts of gluten free stuff nowadays even at places like WalMart and Kroger. It used to be that you had to go to natural food stores to find stuff like that.

I can ask him for other tricks for managing the disease if you want me to.

Btw..you really did need to brain your hubby for driving like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 07:42 PM

Sending well wishes for the rest of your recovery and learning and living with Crohn's Disease. I had a friend from my previous job who was diagnosed with CD and she was adjusting well. She too had to have surgery before and her dr thought she might have CD. I bet Q was excited to see you and probably REALLY enjoyed the fries!!! Glad your feeling better and getting better!!!!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

So glad you're home and can start healing with people and kitties around who love you.

I really wish I could be there to help. Okay, I just want to be around when you start pooping rainbows because I could seriously use that pot of gold at the end!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Staples are out!

So they don't know whether or not they removed the problematic spot?
When will we know?
Glad to hear from you!!

Maria
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

No, the surgeon DID remove the problem spot. We just don't know if it will ever come back again in a different spot or not.

Marie...so long as you don't dig in MY pot looking for the gold, you'll be okay. Remember, the other end of my rainbows...

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
No, the surgeon DID remove the problem spot. We just don't know if it will ever come back again in a different spot or not.

Marie...so long as you don't dig in MY pot looking for the gold, you'll be okay. Remember, the other end of my rainbows...
Oh I see, sorry I got confused, So if it comes back you need the surgery again? Geez! I hope not!! That scared the heck out of me!

Maria
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 12:45 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Staples are out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
Every time I had to tense my abdomen for a sway of the car, my head falling back from acceleration or trying to step on the brake on my side of the car, it caused my abdomen to tense up and I was going to be very, very sore when I got home.
Kinda OT but I thought it was just my mom who does that invisible braking in the passenger seat lol.

I'm glad to hear your doing ok & hope everything from here on out is rainbows for you. I think you'll do great Heidi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page