dress sense - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

dress sense

I have a confession to make. I have no dress sense.

I haven't the faintest idea what to wear in regards to my shape or my age.

I'm 5 foot 3 and suffer from the 'pear-shape' figure that all women on my mothers side of the family seem to be cursed with. I am a size 10 top (US 8 ) and size 12 bottom (US 10) and have a tiny waist to go with my big bum and hips which means I can never find jeans to fit me properly. The waist always gaps terribly at the back without a belt. Drives me nuts. The other 'curses' I seem to have inherited from my female ancesters are short fat legs and a little too much 'bra' for my liking if you see what I mean. I can't wear blouses with buttons - they always gap in certain 'regions'. Sigh.

I don't think I'm bad looking. I'm hardly a beauty queen but I'm not unattractive and know I could do better if only I knew what the heck to wear. I do consider myself very lucky in that I am 'wearing very well' -I'm 36 (aaarrrggghh!!) but easily look ten years younger (not a boast, I really do look that much younger). Sadly, its only my face that looks young - the rest of my body is certainly galloping towards middle age with lightening speed due to my total lack of exercise and that terrible thing called gravity.

I've been reading a book called 'What not to wear' written by some unbearable British women called Trinny and Susannah. You may have heard of them, I don't know but they are ghastly. But, they do know their stuff in terms of what looks nice given the figure one has. Going by the pictures in the book the difference it can make if one wears clothes that suits their shape iis amazing.

I find clothes shopping so depressing. Urgh. Flatmate summed it up nicely a while ago - I can spend tons of money on cat stuff, more cat stuff and even more cat stuff but I won't spend a dime on myself. I figure its going to look terrible anyway so why bother?

My wardrobe is jeans, jumpers and t shirts. And a purple velvet jacket that stinks of cat pee.

Any tips on how to create a glamourous new look? Preferably on a shoestring budget? I've got Tobys dental bill arriving shortly ...

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I cant believe I'm posting this - it has to be one of the worse photos of me of all time (yuk) but it gives a good idea of my body shape ...

"FIV != PTS"

Allie and Ridley

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Premier Cat

I think you have a cute figure. I have no advice on clothes, tho, because I am fashion ignorant myself.

We have a show in the US called "What Not to Wear". It is amazing how they take someone who is frumpy and make them look glamorous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 01:38 PM

Wow! We have the same exact shape! I also suffer the same problem. Juniors clothing is just a bit too tight and juvenile for me while the misses clothing seems a little too old for me. I am 29 and find that the only clothes that do suit me properly are at high end stores and boutiques. Because I can't afford expensive clothes and have a weird body shape I have a very small and dull collection of clothing. I am 5' 4" and am bottom and top heavy like you. My legs are particularly short and stumpy. My sister is only a couple of inches taller than me but her legs are much longer (argh).

I am not sure what to do about personally either. My sister has tried to dress me but I usually resist out of fear of change. I actually did just pick up a pretty cute dress with these weird alien cats on it. It is the most trendy thing I have bought in a while. I will try and post a picture of me in it. I think dresses and skirts work the best for me.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Cat Addict

Believe it or not, Oprah Winfrey's website has some really excellent video clips on clothing styles, especially how to fit jeans to different body types, etc. Some of her clips will also recommend brands or manufacturers (i.e. if you are petite, try these various makers, if you are heavier, try these...) Good for inspiration, and "the price" is right on the advice! Also, it helps to have people walking, turning around, etc. while showing the clothes, easier than looking at photos sometimes.

Fran
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders
One word... Cleavage Show off the cleavage! From Lorna's guide to Luring Men into doing stuff for her....

For instance.... Look at this shirt! You need shirts like this!!!

But then again... it may not be wise to listen to me... As my mother says I have a wardrobe who could put some others to shame...

*Edit by Heather102180.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 03:53 PM

Allie, I like clothes and shopping for clothes A LOT!! I would say probably that I am a bit of an addict I am a completely different shape to you, although I am also short at only 5 foot but I did a google search for what suits pear shaped figures and came up with lots and lots of sites, that might be a good start.

In terms of shopping on a budget I have one word for you "ebay". In order to ease my conscience with regard to how much I spend, I often go for second hand stuff on ebay. I try clothes on in different shops to see what size I am in their brand and then I search on ebay for Coast skirt size 12 for example. I have a good idea that it will fit me from my previous recce's and have bagged myself some real bargains. Obviously you have to be careful, look closely at the sellers feedback and the photos but this is a good way to keep costs down. The great thing is that if you get it horribly wrong you can just relist it and sell it on again.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Banned

Allie, your comment about having too much "bra" and the buttons gapping has me considering a possible alternative. While you are searching for fashions that suit your figure, have you considered a minimizer bra? That works well for women that have the same issues you mentioned. It gives the appearance of one less cup size (without sqaushing them) and thus reduces that gap you do not like.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldjr1969
Allie, your comment about having too much "bra" and the buttons gapping has me considering a possible alternative. While you are searching for fashions that suit your figure, have you considered a minimizer bra? That works well for women that have the same issues you mentioned. It gives the appearance of one less cup size (without sqaushing them) and thus reduces that gap you do not like.
Thats interesting. I've never heard of that before. I'll look into it

"FIV != PTS"

Allie and Ridley

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 10:59 PM

Allie.....

Dang, I think you look GREAT!

If your jeans gap in the back......
Go for the advice given earlier for Oprahs jean suggestions.
You must have a nice black girl bootie! Heheheheheeeee!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page