Metabolism Slowing Down - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Metabolism Slowing Down

When did you feel your metabolism started really slowing down? I just turned 27 & used to be able to eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. That included alot of junk food. Now I am starting to gain serious weight, get a little pimply sometimes & just plain feelin' fat lol.

I always said I'm going to start working out but this time I'm really going to put that treadmill to use! And eat healthier.

What about you? What age did your metabolism slow down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

I think when I turned 2 years old, I started feeling a bit tired and run down. Hasn't gotten better since.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 06:23 PM

Due to a pretty nasty medical condition I had my thyroid gland removed completely about 6 years ago. I gained about 2 stone (28 pounds) in about 3 months and have never been able to shake it off permanently since. I diet and exercise and it goes and then miraculously it comes straight back on again (when I am sleeping I think!!).

I don’t think that is every going to change unfortunately as now with no thyroid my metabolism is always going to be iffy. In terms of getting lethargic however I would say that has increased over the past year (I’m 34). These days I definitely need my nap on a Sunday afternoon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Cat Addict

Have you ever had thyroid blood testing, Kim? I ask because when I was in my late 20s, right about your age, a really began to notice myself being more tired throughout the day, not being able to tolerate the late nights like I used to, and I practically gained weight just by looking at food!

Other things I noticed were that my nails were more brittle, I was losing a little bit more hair in my comb/brush every day and my skin was pimply as well, and I barely had one zit as a teenager.

Anyway, I had blood tests ran and found out I had hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone). I've been on low dose Synthroid ever since (the brand-name for levothyroxine) and I'm a lot better as far as the fatigue, hair, skin and nails go. I still have problems with weight issues but that's probably complicated by the fact that I can't get much physical exercise sitting all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
I think when I turned 2 years old, I started feeling a bit tired and run down. Hasn't gotten better since.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Banned

27 is way too young, Kim. Better get a check-up.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
27 is way too young, Kim. Better get a check-up.
Ok Kim let's go check us out!!

Maria
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Stephie - That really sucks. Alot of times, people gain weight from medical conditions & it's so hard to lose. Even with dieting & exercising. I hope eventually it decides to stay off for good, we can only hope right?

Ok, I was suspected to have thyroid problems by a doctor that felt around my neck area & then I went into to get an ultrasound from a radiology clinic for it. I came out clean yay!

Last year, I had more brittle nails, skin really dry & slightly pimply, lost alot of hair by brushing, etc. but that seemed to slowly go away as I am eating healthier & not going out & drinking as often. I am eating healthier than last year but still I have alot of junk food to cut out.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 12:23 AM
Cat Addict

Pop Tarts, hot cheetos, Dairy Queen, Chocolate , Kim! this is going to be hard!!

Maria
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Yep this is going to be **** hard. I love Pop Tarts! I am the Cheetoh Queen! Love all the cheetoh's especially the hot ones. I even named our clownfish before Cheddar Cheetoh lol
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat
Yep this is going to be **** hard. I love Pop Tarts! I am the Cheetoh Queen! Love all the cheetoh's especially the hot ones. I even named our clownfish before Cheddar Cheetoh lol
We have a lot in common, I will respond to your novel I mean email tomorrow LOL, I wanted to get the heck out of the office, I also had a softball game, did good!

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page