money saving tips? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

money saving tips?

Theres been a lot in the news here recently about the rising cost of food and also energy. Apparently, the price of gas (as in the type used for heating and also cooking -not the stuff you put in cars) is going to go up so high that we will be paying double this winter compared to the winter just gone.

Theres also the global 'credit crunch' to consider as well. Sigh. Pull in our belt time!

So -I thought it might be a good idea to discuss what money saving tips people might have.

Got any?

Flatmate suggested we invest in a microwave so we don't use so much energy when we cook.

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 08:34 AM
Jr. Cat

My best thing I've done?

I bought a Prius a few years ago (well, 2). That saves me about a $100 per month. ($300 in gas - $200 more in the car payment.) Get a car that gets good gas mileage.

The other thing I do - I use wind energy. My electrical rates haven't changed in years. I also have all my chargers on a power strip that I turn off when not in use - chargers use a lot of energy, even off.

Me and My family:
Chairman Meow
Dogs: Leela and Thomas

Oh yeah - husband and child
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 09:05 AM
Premier Cat

Microwaves use a fair amount of electric, so I don't know how much you would save there.

In respect to heating costs the old turn down the heat is best. You can get programmable thermostats which automatically turn your heat down while you are not at home, and then again at night while you sleep. It does help alot.

Also, if you have drafty windows you can get a removable plastic sheeting that you put up along the frame of the window which forms a barrier and really does work at cutting down drafts. Of course it can also be used as entertainment for kitties because once they slash the plastic it will blow in the wind.

Unplug any thing that you don't use on a regular basis. For those things that you do use regularly put it on a power strip. They can use up to 40 % of their power just by being plugged in.

Oh..and there is always layering. It's not unusual for me to have 4 or 5 layers on in the winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 10:22 AM
Cool Cat

We don't eat out very often anymore.
Cook from scratch, not packaged foods.
Microwaves can cut down on energy use - less time and energy to het water compared to a stove top, less energy than heating up an oven. My microwave has a convection setting which is great.

Have weekly potluck dinners with friends. My college age daughter does this with their group. They rent a movie from the Red Box ($1) or play a board game. They get to try different food than they would usually make. Pick a theme and alternate who brings what course.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 10:58 AM
Tom Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to MissAnne2u
I don't really worry about saving money... No kids, only a DH, 4 Lizards and 2 cats. I do however have a budget all worked out and by the end of the year we'll have over $4K in Savings and by the end of next year, nearly $20K, if we can stick to it.

We did however, have new windows and insulation put in our home last summer and I did see a difference in our electric and gas bill, it was WAY lower this past winter.

DH says I should buy a new car that gets better gas mileage, but I don't really want a new car payment and higher insurance when my car gets 40 mpg (and its almost 11 yrs old) and its paid for.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
for me, the biggest issue is eating out. I'm too lazy and forgetful to bring lunch to work, and usually like to go out to get dinner a few (or most) nights per week. There have ben times I've spent close to $150 in a week just on food.

Something else you can do is as soon as you get paid, put a set amount in a savings account or have it drafted from your account. Act as if its a bill you "owe" (to yourself). You can't spend money you don't have!

I'm trying to get better about putting much more money into savings with every paycheck. If I have a good bit of money in my checking account, I tend to buy lots of things I don't really need. Mostly, things for the pets... but they don't really NEED them. I also do a lot of online shopping. I get myself in trouble browsing and browsing. I'll rack up a couple hunder dollars on a given site, then check my account. If I have plenty of money, I buy it all. If not, I either just leave the site or drop it down to the things I really meant to buy in the first place.

I also think programming a thermostat to be cooler while you're not home is a great idea. Also lowering it just a couple of degrees than you're used to can be a big help and you might not even notice the difference. It helps that I'd rather be cold and curl up with a blanket than be too warm though.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 12:11 PM
Cool Cat

Turning lights off when you leave the room.

I'm stating this from memory, so I may be a bit off:

For regular light bulbs, if you leave the room for more than 6 seconds, but leave the light on, you are wasting energy.

For fluorescents I think it was more like .2 seconds.

This was based on the amount of energy it took to turn the light on, as opposed to leaving it on.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Been clipping a lot of coupons, especially from online sites. Saved $20 off last week's grocery bill.

http://print.coupons.com/Couponweb/Offe ... t82&nid=10

http://coolsavings.com/TabbedDisplay.as ... c6e37589-2

http://printable-coupons.blogspot.com/2 ... upons.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page