knitting - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

knitting

I've always fancied a go but was put off slightly as a child when my mother tried to teach me. I'm left handed and my mothers right handed so it proved rather difficult.

How easy is it to learn? I would love to knit a scarf, hat and glove set for winter. Is that sort of thing easy to do- once you got the hang of it? I'd probably start with a travel blanket for Toby initially simply because its probably the easiest thing to do.

Any advice/suggestions appreciated

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Jr. Cat

It's pretty easy - I learned from someone who taught me a left handed method, even though we were both right handed. Has to do with how you hold the thread.

She was taught by someone from overseas, who told her that was just how they did it in Wales, I think???

Start with a blob, though! Your first piece will look like one anyway - until you get the tension down. Scarves are pretty easy and you can practice stitching. Many yarn stores here will teach it to you or find someone who can.

Me and My family:
Chairman Meow
Dogs: Leela and Thomas

Oh yeah - husband and child
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Tom Cat

It's really easy! I taught myself on the internet in college so I could knit during lectures (I'm ADD and having something to kindof occupy a bit of my attention actually helped me to listen better -- weird I know).

My advice is to practice the basic stitch, but don't make anything time consuming like a scarf until you've mastered the knit and purl because even a simple knitting one row and purling the next (to give the same stiching on each side) looks way, way better than knit, knit, knitting every row. Also, choose a nice thick yarn and large needles for your first knitting experience. It will give you a big, squishy, warm scarf that won't take as long! I know a lot of people who picked up knitting and chose a beautiful teeny thread for their first project, got burned out halfway through and never touched it again.

Also, gloves are tricky (haven't attempted those yet), but you can get a circular knitting needle set for hats and it's not too difficult. Travel blankie and scarf first though

Good for you Allie! Knitting is really great for relaxation and stress relief! More people should try

Robin and...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Premier Cat

Allie,

My aunt taught herself to knit, and loves it! If you ever do get into it, and find that you like doing it, try doing something with alpaca yarn! My aunt loves to work with the alpaca fiber, cleaning, spinning, etc etc, and then she knits sweaters, scarves, hats, and mittens from her processed yarn from her own alpacas. You would love the feel of it, a good alpaca yarn is very soft, and it's warmer than wool!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Cool Cat

I learned to knit and purl many years ago and never really did anything with it. I made a couple of minature Christams stockings to put suckers in and that was it.
Last year, I decided that I wanted to make some scarves for my daughter. I think I've made 27 so far. A variety of stitches and yarns.

I'm left handed, but I knit right handed. There are lots of directions out there for knitting left handed. Lion brand yarn has instructions online and I know that other brands probably do too.. There are DVDs and classes also.

Small needles and yarn are much harder. I thought knitting with mutlple strands of yarn would be hard, but it's really not. At first, just casting and knitting the first row were the hardest thing for me.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Premier Cat

I am the same as you- left handed. My right handed mother wasn't able to teach me, even tho she did blankets, sweaters, all that stuff.

Good luck to you, it would be fun to be able to do things like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
If knitting doesn't work out for you, try crocheting. I find it much easier. I know how to knit and purl, etc., but I am so sloooow! I crochet easily! I'm sure there are books for LH crocheters too.

Here are some directions I found on Google. There are pictures and instructions.

http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do ... 324&print=

Try both for fun!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Cat Addict

I wonder if a right-hander can teach you with a mirror??? Most shops offer classes...

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/FEATmirror.html

http://knittingleft.com/index.php?main_ ... ducts_id=2

Great books on knitting: Knitting without Tears, Knitting in Plain English, Knitting Tips & Trade Secrets, Vogue Knitting...

You might find that since knitting is actually very bi-handed, that it is not much of an issue. I don't knit "American" style (wrapping the yarn by hand over the needle - very cumbersome in my opinion), and the Continental style actually uses the left hand a lot, and is much faster. The only issue that seems key if you learn 'backwards' is following patterns at tricky junctures.

Knitting is just wonderful, I hope you follow through! I knitted very seriously for about ten years. I used to watched tv and knit, knitted while attending weekly meetings at Jamie's preschool, even did piece work and sweater assembly for a woman with a handknit sweater business. I stopped after while. My favorite store closed, I stopped watching tv after I got hooked on the internet (!) and it got hard to find patterns sized for me (I am petite). Of course, now you can find fun free patterns on knitting sites on the Web.

http://www.chicknits.com/free.shtml etc. etc.

Right now, I am in a book reading and book-on-cd phase, but I know I will pick up the needles again sometime, since it is a truly pleasant hobby. I tend to like cables and complicated textures, and I have found that I can't knit and listen to books-on-tape at the same time...

Tell us what you end up finding, Allie! Even writing this post is whetting my interest, I hope you get inspired too!

Fran
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Cool Cat

Crocheting is more fun

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinityQuiet
Crocheting is more fun
I never got the hang of crocheting. For me, knitting is easier. My grandmother is an expert crocheter and tried to teach me but I'd always lose or drop stitches and end up with potholders that resembled triangles

Robin and...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page