Democratic Primary- Fair? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Democratic Primary- Fair?

It looks as if the candidate with the minority of the popular vote will get the Democratic nomination. I think Sen. Obama speaks quite well, but few people write their own political speeches. He is a charismatic man, but it should be the American Democrats who choose the candidate, not super delegates and the media. I don't think the popular vote is being considered.

The media have decided the winner already. This coverage has been the most biased I've ever seen. I believe that Sen. Clinton is much more qualified, but I don't think means a hill of beans. Do I think it's sexist? Reluctantly, yes.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Banned

The Democratic Party got themselves in their own fix (as they usually do) with this superdelegate nonsense.

Obama won a plurality of delegates through the primary process. If there were no superdelegates, he would have the nomination sewed up by now. Hillary keeps trying to change the rules. I think she should gracefully concede. But I doubt she will.
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I hope she does not. We cannot ignore the wishes of the American Democrats because of the stupidity of the National Committee. If I were from Florida or Michigan, I would be walking the streets with a picket sign!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
If the democrates were smart they would have stopped fighting with each other and attacked the republicans instead but nooooo could they do that nope!!! Also a bunch of democrates have already stated that if the person they want loses they will vote republicans.

Hence why Im a republican!!! We stick to our own
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Florida and Michigan did this to themselves. They knew the risks, but they just HAD to move up their primaries. And Hillary agreed to the terms at the time, but now doesn't like them. Spoiled little girl syndrome.

I'm still waiting for her to take off her mask and show us the alien lizard underneath.

The thought of her in charge terrifies me.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Cool Cat

I think it is unfortunate that those states chose to have their primaries early when they knew it wasn't going to count. I'm also unconvinced that Clinton is the best person for the job. Have you noticed that most people refer to Obama by his last name but refer to Clinton by her first name?
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

The voters had no choice but to vote when the election was held. That decision was made by the legislature:

Quote:
But Republicans in the Florida Legislature — supported by many Democrats — pushed through a measure setting Jan. 29 as the date for their state's presidential primary. Gov. Charlie Crist, a Republican, is expected to sign the bill.
Source:

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la ... ome-center

Jeanie

post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Cool Cat

Unfortunately the way the system works is that the states that hold the primaries earliest have the largest influence in the process.

Thus, if there were no rules to prevent states from making the primaries as early as they wanted, states would just keep holding primaries earlier and earlier and earlier... until the stupid primary process started sometime in 2006! Really. I think the whole thing was too long this year... it doesn't need to be longer.

There's also a benefit to having rules to keep all the primaries from happening at once, so the candidates actually have time to campaign.

So, given those two facts, we have to have some sort of rules about which states can have primaries when. And I don't see any real way to enforce the rules except to refuse to seat some or all of the delegates of the states that break them.

While I'm sorry for the voters in Michigan and Florida, the fact is, in most primaries a big proportion of the country is effectively disenfranchised in the primary process simply because their primary is held to late. At the moment I live in North Carolina, which has a May primary. This is the first time in a LONG time that the NC primary has mattered at all. Usually the nomination is sewed up a long time before then and none of the voters in NC get any sort of say in the matter.

Plus, it looks like Obama is probably ahead in the popular vote if you make any sort of reasonable estimate of what he would have gotten in Michigan if he had been on the ballot.
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Same rules and opportunities apply to both. Hilary didn't deliver when she needed to. Simple as that. Personally I think she's an insincere witch on a power trip, looking for self gain and notoriety as the first female American president.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Democratic Primary- Fair?

I am just bummed because I can't vote yet

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page